I think I'm in for a nightmare, broken exhaust bolt, rearmost driver's side in an '86 e350

Rattlenbang

Reaction score
I know the standard is drill, easy out, and bolt end comes out. For me it's never worked and I've always had to pull the head after hours of cursing and sweat.
And being in a van body, I'm not even sure if I can fit a drill in there if I tried. hate the idea of pulling a head, for the same reason: it's crazy lousy access.
Anyone have any suggestions? Has anyone had to do this in a van body?

TNBrett

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How far recessed into the head is the remaining part? How about welding on to it? I’ve never had much luck with extractors either. I usually reach for a welder whenever I have a broken bolt.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
If you want to drill, you can try using a 90* drill or an adapter that turns your regular drill into a 90* drill.

Rattlenbang

Reaction score
How far recessed into the head is the remaining part? How about welding on to it? I’ve never had much luck with extractors either. I usually reach for a welder whenever I have a broken bolt.
Looks like it's broken flush with the head. I guess that means pulling manifold and risking more broken bolts. Hmmm. Never thought of welding, though I don't know how tight the bolt end is.
Generally I have a problem with them breaking when trying to remove the manifold, in which case the bolt is seized in the head. Different scenario when it breaks off due to heat cycling expansion and contraction, though it might still be seized.

Rattlenbang

Reaction score
If you want to drill, you can try using a 90* drill or an adapter that turns your regular drill into a 90* drill.
I'm really hoping to not drill because it's never worked out for me. Inevitably the drill doesn't go in straight and center due to poor access, it takes forever and you end up with a mangled head, the stud still there, and you still have to pull and take to a machine shop.

TNBrett

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looks like it's broken flush with the head. I guess that means pulling manifold and risking more broken bolts. Hmmm. Never thought of welding, though I don't know how tight the bolt end is.
Generally I have a problem with them breaking when trying to remove the manifold, in which case the bolt is seized in the head. Different scenario when it breaks off due to heat cycling expansion and contraction, though it might still be seized.
Welding is best done with a mig welder. Flux core is good too, and you don’t have to worry about cleaning so much. The idea is to stack beads of weld on the end of the stud or bolt. Once you get a few beads built up enough, weld a nut on to it. You can also quench it with a penetrating lube of your choice while it’s hot after every few hits with the welder. Just be careful that you don’t weld it to the head. But, ultimately you’re risking the same thing as with drilling. If you can’t make it work, the head comes off and you visit the machine shop.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle

Members online