I need some big time diagnostic help. Lots of photos and as much info as I can muster

nitroguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Could be fuel system smoke and a faulty radiator cap?

I hope so! I replaced the cap with a different one from napa. That was 50 miles ago, I'll check to see my coolant levels today. Still smokes like a chimney though (although, if I'm hearing you right, you are suggesting that the loss of coolant and lots of smoke are two unrelated issues)

nitroguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here's some updated information. Given all the info you guys have helped me with thus far, I think I (sadly) know what's wrong: head gaskets. Beyond the aforementioned issues, I went out today to take a peek at coolant and oil levels and found this:
You must be registered for see images attach

Correct me if I'm wrong, but that's milky coolant, meaning that coolant and oil are mixing. Bad news, right?

Looked in the recovery bottle and saw more sludge than usual (it seems):

You must be registered for see images attach

The radiator was also about a gallon low on coolant after maybe 100 miles. Is that my smoke? It's burning up?

So, knowing that, I'm inclined to call Mechanic A and see what he can do for me. Being 600 miles away from him, I doubt it's much, but maybe he can work with Mechanic B and get something squared away.

Is my reasoning right?

And if so, talk to me. It's a great engine that pulls well (I think! Never had a diesel before...) but she's got 200k on the clock. Is it worth a pull and rebuild? Do you think the block is cracked? What about the significant blowby coming up the dipstick tube? Talk to me, what would you do in my shoes?

Thanks!

junk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
In my opinion it's probably rebuild time. Now you could do a fairly basic rebuild only replacing seals, definitely bad/worn parts and fixing the coolant issue. It's still going to cost a couple bucks though.

Or you could look for a decent running used engine to swap in. It's a gamble on the used engine route, but running engines can be had most places it seems for around 1,000 dollars. May buy time to go through your original engine as you can?

Mulochico

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Oil in coolant/coolant in oil = Oil cooler seals leaking? Wouldn't effect the smoke (I don't think) but possible 2 problems.

As for the smoke, mine is doing a similar thing, no oil in coolant, etc, but I attribute mine to pump and injectors. Timing it properly helped, notice the timing jumped around occasionally, more than likely worn injector. I have a Baby Moose, and injectors on the way, so we will see if thing get better.

GOOSE

Happy IDI'er
Reaction score
Once again, COMPRESSION TEST!!!!

I am not sure where you stand as far as working on the rig yourself. Corey coming down from PA is the closest thing I have come to as far as having a mechanic work on my truck.

We still haven't pinpointed your ailment. The oil cooler would allow oil and coolant to mix but would not account for major coolant loss. Cavatation has been put out of the spot light because you have no hydrolock issues. What we have left is the condition of your bore, pistons and rings, head gasket and a warped or cracked head.

Do the compression test, if 6 or 7 cylinders have good compression, a cracked head or bad head gasket could account for bad compression on the last one or two cylinders. Rebuilt heads and new gaskets could have you back in business. Did mechanic A have the heads checked out or just slap on new gaskets?

I'd say we are making progress but do NOT have a definite conclusion yet

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First, That rad cap almost looks like a sealant product on there not so much milky oil/water mix to me. An attempt to cover an issue????

Second, Ok so if your Mechanic B whom seems to have special Amazing Kreskin powers of observation by saying LOW comp without testing will actually do a comp test you can get some true diagnostic data.

Third, I know that oil can get into the coolant via bad "O" rings because the OIL pressure is higher than coolant pressure, however for the most part it does not flow from coolant to oil, HOWEVER I'll throw a caveat in there, IF....IF your building more pressure in your coolant system than oil pressure (WHICH SHOULD NOT HAPPEN as the RAd CAP blows off at 16 LBS) then it may force coolant into the oil system.

Fourth, ARE you getting milky oil on dipstick? Is the oil level changing?

Fifth, DOES exhaust smoke smell sweet?

There are a few things that need to be done in order to fully diagnose this more fully. It is about determining the condition and then, making the decisions to repair those problems.

IT ALL STARTS with A GOOD DIAGNOSTICIAN!

JM2CW

Al

racer30

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I agree with goose you need to find someone to do a compression test soon. The more info you have about the engine the better the diog.

GOOSE

Happy IDI'er
Reaction score
Or you could look for a decent running used engine to swap in. It's a gamble on the used engine route, but running engines can be had most places it seems for around 1,000 dollars.

I have been down this road. I would either follow through on your current engine or look into a remanufactured engine. Another used engine just puts a new set of variables into the equation. You may get lucky with a used engine, I went through two and had no good luck, just money that was wasted.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
First, That rad cap almost looks like a sealant product on there not so much milky oil/water mix to me. An attempt to cover an issue????

Second, Ok so if your Mechanic B whom seems to have special Amazing Kreskin powers of observation by saying LOW comp without testing will actually do a comp test you can get some true diagnostic data.

Third, I know that oil can get into the coolant via bad "O" rings because the OIL pressure is higher than coolant pressure, however for the most part it does not flow from coolant to oil, HOWEVER I'll throw a caveat in there, IF....IF your building more pressure in your coolant system than oil pressure (WHICH SHOULD NOT HAPPEN as the RAd CAP blows off at 16 LBS) then it may force coolant into the oil system.

Fourth, ARE you getting milky oil on dipstick? Is the oil level changing?

Fifth, DOES exhaust smoke smell sweet?

There are a few things that need to be done in order to fully diagnose this more fully. It is about determining the condition and then, making the decisions to repair those problems.

IT ALL STARTS with A GOOD DIAGNOSTICIAN!

JM2CW

Al
I agree. Sorta looks like residue from that bars leaks pellet kind that you shake up. Or some kind of block sealer.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
placidoert

Members online