I love my IDI because

Magoo

Blind Brain Surgeon
Reaction score
Ok, I have seen many posts where folks open up and put on the table their resons for the love of their truck. May have been done already but thought a compilation of reasons we love our trucks and particularly the IDI would be a good read. Call me boring.

I love my IDI because it is absolute simplicity. Every time I look at a vehicle I would like to own, I amagine it with a 7.3 turbo. Amagine the popularity of the Hummer had they installed a 7.3 :hail :hail :hail

F350camper

BOOST!
Reaction score
Its bought, paid for, good for another 300,000 miles, and heck it was even just featured in Diesel Power Mag

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My new boss is a BMW driving city slicker, as well as most of my coworkers. I'm a real redneck to them, so I'm asked a few questions about my perversity. I told them that it was a hobby, that I could take virtually any Ford diesel truck of this vintage, and totally rebuild it if I wanted. That I was reliant on know one to get it fixed if it breaks, and that if it broke, it was probably my fault. Parts are cheap, they aren't on the hot car list, so they rarely get stolen, if I don't like something on it, I'll change it. It doesn't need to be rebooted if it acts strangely, and it won't get any older. I also told them that they would still be around long after they have gotten rid of their accuras and hondas and toyotas.

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I love mine because it is something unique that not everybody has. I also love it because I am burning homebrew B100 in it,a nd that means I'm paying about 1/2 of what everybody else is paying for their fuel. I'm no greenie, nor am I religious about biodiesel, I bought the truck for that among other reasons because I saw the day coiming that the oil market would be tight, and a diesel is a good thing to have in such a climate.

HiWayMan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I agree with what everyone else has said. Especially the simplicity. I sold new Ford trucks for about 6 months ( 6 months was all I could handle). I was impressed by the power of the 6.0 but my 91 F-350 is so much more comfortable. The outside still looks like a truck, not a rounded bath tub looking thing. Also, when I go to fix it I don't need a laptop computer like the techs had to use on the newer trucks when they broke down. Sorry, I just like older things. Houses, cars, trucks etc.

Al

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
...because it is the last (and now only) Ford car/truck that I will ever own and I hope that since it is IH powered, it will last longer than the last Ford car we had!

Dsl_Dog_Treat

I lost my face to the jaws of a poodle
Reaction score
Agnem said:
My new boss is a BMW driving city slicker, as well as most of my coworkers. I'm a real redneck to them, so I'm asked a few questions about my perversity. I told them that it was a hobby, that I could take virtually any Ford diesel truck of this vintage, and totally rebuild it if I wanted. That I was reliant on know one to get it fixed if it breaks, and that if it broke, it was probably my fault. Parts are cheap, they aren't on the hot car list, so they rarely get stolen, if I don't like something on it, I'll change it. It doesn't need to be rebooted if it acts strangely, and it won't get any older. I also told them that they would still be around long after they have gotten rid of their accuras and hondas and toyotas.
:rotflmao ;Sweet
Prolly hadn't seen ya in swimmin trunks either. :rotflmao :rotflmao

AND ya don't need a puter to tell ya what isn't working right.
Good ole satisfing get yer hands greasy fixinit look of restoring a big ole truck that will cost bout $42k less to restore than replace. :eek:
Ok time to go wash up for the night. :D

gabbyr100rs

Reaction score
I liked it when I ordered it new, and I still like it.
Paid for,
Looks good,
Sounds great--I like the cackle and smoke too,
Runs good for what it is,
I can work on most of it,
Not everyone has one,
It will happily take alternative fuels given a bit of care,
Takes me where ever I want to go, and will pull a pretty good trailer with no hesitation,
It should go another 150K--at present rates of travel, it may outlast me! :rotflmao

Camarogenius

Reaction score
Magoo said:
I love my IDI because it is absolute simplicity. Every time I look at a vehicle I would like to own, I amagine it with a 7.3 turbo. Amagine the popularity of the Hummer had they installed a 7.3 :hail :hail :hail
That's pretty much what I'm doing. www.tremormuv.com :Sly
I Love the engine and tranny, but I've got a few gripes about the truck wrapped around it.

f-two-fiddy

Reaction score
Personally, I think 83-97 is prolly Fords toughest working truck.

After 97 the bodies got to light to take um out, and use them for WORK! I USE my trucks. They get 17-19 MPG, better than ANY gasser. Maintainence is relatively inexpensive.

And they look COOOOOL! IMO, the best looking Ford trucks, ever built.
I just wish the 83-86 body (my personal favorite) came with the more comfortable & refined suspension & interior of the 92-97.

bikepilot

Turbo IDI
Reaction score
Its paid for and it usually gets my bikes where they need to go without drama. If cost were the same I'd have a more modern engine in a heartbeat though (I'm young enough to have grown up working on computer controlled cars, its natural to me, this mechanical stuff is sort of a pita - what do you mean I can't plug my laptop into it to see whats going on a re-progam the fuel curve???, lol).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance