I know another E4OD trans trouble question

condor74

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sorry for the long time between posts. The transmission went completely out in my 1990 F250 as I stated earlier in this post. The engine runs just fine. I had another vehicle and was kinda down on the truck after only driving it very little over a couple months, prob less than 1000 miles, so I decided to park it and in my back yard and just not worry about it. Well eventually my oldest daughter is turning 16 so we are in need of another vehicle. I was shopping around for another vehicle. Admitidly I am a Dodge man so I was looking for an older inexpensive pick up. After a while I decided that why spend money on another truck when I have a decent truck in the backyard. So after having the truck down since December of last year I placed 2 batteries in it and it started right up. I had reverse so I drove it around in reverse to the front yard and called a tow truck. It is now at the transmission shop having the transmission repaired. It had been overhauled by a local transmission shop with a very very good reputation recently and he agreed to give me a good deal on the repair. The trans has had upgrades and our thinking is that some of the parts in the trans are probably still good. So for about 1000 dollars it will be running again with a warrentee. He found the trans cooler plugged up and believes that this is what caused the transmission to overheat fail. Being it was overhauled as a bench job before he never had a chance to flush the cooler on the original overhaul. Anyway I am once again excited about my IDI. I will keep you posted as to the progress.

condor74

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If the radiator cooler is still hooked up get rid of it and plimb in a decent external one. E4OD is a VERY weird trans when it has a restricted cooler.
Ken

You called it. I just didnt get it repaired before I damaged the transmission. Thanks though.

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
$1000 for an E4OD including removal and installation? Good deal!

Being a local shop makes it easier to collect on a warranty claim too.

condor74

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah it is including removal and installation. It is not a complete overhaul but a tear down and replacement of any damaged componets. Basically if a part is not damaged it will not be replaced.

condor74

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok hopefully my transmission problems are now over. The transmission was completely rebuilt with a new converter. He flushed the trans cooler with his special trans cooler flusher machine. It pumps in one direction and every 5 minutes it changes directions for 30 seconds then continues flushing in the normal direction. The cooler was partially plugged. All this for $1000 with a 6 month warranty. Now I can focus on repairing other parts of the truck finally.