i just bought a truck, and do not know why it is smoking

F-SERI-ouS

Reaction score
i just bought a 94 non turbo. nice truck, but it did not run when i got it. i checked a few heres and theres, read some posts, and have come to the conclusion that is was the glow plugs. so i was luck i got a manual in this truck because i was able to jump start it, after just a minute or three and 3 blocks away, the truck started and sounded like a champ. after driving it around and getting a feel for it it was misfiring somewhere. i popped the hood and noticed that it was white smoking from the small cover that is right infront of the engine. the one infront of the injection pump. there was also fuel leaking from a few of the injectors and some fittings. so i at first thought it was the fuel that had leaked. once i tightened the fittings, the engine still smoked from the little cover infront of the injection pump. Can anyone help me figure this out? the truck is a CC, 4x4, f-350 w/227k miles. so far i have ordered the glow plugs, checked all fluids, and found a radiators worth of rust in the cooling system. will post pics if that helps. Thanks.

Squeaky_Wheel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds like blow-by. Does the same color smoke come out of the oil filler neck when you remove the oil cap?

Maybe others will chime in soon to help you out.

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the OB. Please put your truck in your signature.

First of all on the glow plugs, don't use any brand except Motorcraft/Beru ZD9, other brands like Bosch or Wellman maybe exceptable other members have used them, the Autolite brand, according to many on here are the worst, they burnout quickly and come apart and stick in the heads, requiring most of the time pulling the head(s).

White smoke-- A little blow by is common with a cold engine, when hot, remove the oil fill cap and there should be small amount coming out there, if there is a large amount, the CDR may need cleaning or is defective, CDR is located at the rear of the valley pan and goes into the intake horn. Take the cover off you mentioned and use RTV to reinstall, that cover is to get at the 3 bolts that hold the IP to the gear.

White smoke out the tailpipe--is usually from air intrusion into the fuel system.

For your leaks--The hoses between the injectors may be leaking, kits are available to replace them for around $30 -$50, new caps, orings, hoses and clamps.

Coolant system--Most use the FleetGard coolant with the SCA in it, available at NAPA, TSC and IH dealers. Takes 4 gallon coolant and 4 gallon water with an empty system. With all that rust it would be wise to flush the system, be sure and remove the block plugs, one on each side, one behind the starter, other on drivers side rear. Living in AZ you sure want a good cooling system.

For any parts you may need go here for P/N's http://www.oilburners.net/forums/showthread.php?t=5384

Last edited:

F-SERI-ouS

Reaction score
Thanks alot to you guys so far for pointing me in the right direction.

i have tightened the flare nuts, and i do not see any leaks anymore, however the fuel that did leak has not all dried up yet, so i am unsure if i fixed the leaking. i have not ran the engine yet since i drove it home the other day, about 9 miles. also the air filter and housing were off the whole way home, so the CDR was not properly connected and i have not checked to see yet if the smoke was also coming out of the filler neck. i have flushed the radiator, and am working on getting the block plugs off to flush the water jackets.

i will try to get some pics up, and you guys and let me know if i have a keeper or not?

lotzagoodstuff

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just an FYI: I wouldn't drive that truck without an air cleaner, and make very certain that the grommet on top of your air cleaner lid is present and makes a good seal. Getting water in your intake on a diesel is a giant no-no.

F-SERI-ouS

Reaction score
how do i flush the engine cooling system?

oldbull8, i think i found the plug on the right side. i believe it is a square head plug that sits above the starter like you said, and is screwed into the head, and not the block? i know you called them block plugs, and not head plugs, so do i have the right plug? i cannot even find the one on the driver side. i also was washing out the hoses, and i cannot get any water into the engine past the water pump? i clearly do not know what i am doing.

GOOSE

Happy IDI'er
Reaction score
Welcome to OB. Get some Gunk and hit the car wash, after you get the air filter tightened up. You will wash that diesel right out of the valley pan area.;Sweet

F-SERI-ouS

Reaction score
here is a pic of her. you may be able to see the front bench is out of place. it took the whole truck apart to clean her up nicely.

Attachments

• f250 001.jpg
    f250 001.jpg
    517.4 KB · Views: 24
  • f250 002.jpg
    f250 002.jpg
    806.4 KB · Views: 18

F-SERI-ouS

Reaction score
ok, so i found the block plugs and completely flushed the crap that was in the water jackets. i took off the battery cables and am cleaning them off and cleaning all the connections on the engine/body terminals because despite a 12v reading on each batt. from my multimeter, the engine was still turning over real slow and not firing. i also have a question about the air filter. the one that this truck came with is trash. is there a nice aftermarket one i can get, or is all that is made the paper kind?

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
that truck is a keeper for sure;Sweet
chances are the starter is toast from slow cranking. that is the easiest way to kill a diesel starter. any cranking speed below 300 rpm is death on a starter. like thermonuclear meltdown bad.
look at the pic. right in the middle of the valleypan is the CDR hole for non-turbo motors and the oil drainback hole for turbo motors.i know you have a cdr in place of where the oil drainback tube is, but that is where your water entry point is at is you put water onto the valley of the motor. in short don't get the valley wet or you will regret it.
you did you with getting this truck;Sweet

Attachments

• SL374628.JPG
    SL374628.JPG
    286.1 KB · Views: 29

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Take a pic of your engine and post it, easier to answer questions about it when we can see it.

88IDImattman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
good looking rig ...........an welcome to the site .....lots of great an knowledgeable guys on here so dont be afraid to ask for help

F-SERI-ouS

Reaction score
here are a few pictures of the engine after a good pressure wash.

Attachments

• f350 001.jpg
    f350 001.jpg
    792 KB · Views: 20
  • f350 002.jpg
    f350 002.jpg
    926.5 KB · Views: 19
  • f350 003.jpg
    f350 003.jpg
    617.2 KB · Views: 15

Latest posts

Forum statistics