I Have a Working Tranmission Temp Gauge!!!

Mikes91

Full Access Member
Reaction score
RKOCH said:
First thing you all need to do is throw those damn E4OD's out and put a C-6 in there. I use a C-6 with an atlas T case with an overdrive / underdrive spilter.

Heheheeheh. Well, one transmission ago I would have taken your advice.

Problem is, I have a $4000 BTS rebuild under my rig right now. :) Been there a full year already.

When *IT* goes, I'm going to a six speed manual. No more automatics for me if the BTS unit doesn't give satisfactory results. I expect it to last 75,000+ hard miles. If it does not, I will be disappointed.

Murphy's law says it will fail next summer, right after the 2-year warranty is up. I've done one cross-country pull with it... a hair over 6000 pounds. I have to make that trip the other way next spring, followed by moving 2 horses to South Carolina from Illinois (about 4500 pounds), and one horse from Georgia to South Carolina pulling about 7000 pounds (heavier trailer).

Mikes91

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Analog and Eric,

Thank you for your replies.

I'll probably leave the gauge where it is for now... just because moving it would mean losing fluid. Also, I'm not sure if the threads on the pan match the threads on the sending unit.

If this is known to be the case I might be convinced to switch, but knowing that I can hit 220 degrees (as currently configured on the hot side) without undue concern will probably make me happy.

Mike

Mikes91

Full Access Member
Reaction score
One question, y'all... I already have a reasonably sized transmission cooler on the truck. Not sure what rating it is.

Is there any such cooler that comes recommended? I wouldn't mind upgrading to a larger unit, but my concern is that I'd be blocking off more of the radiator. Not a good deal...

Mike

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
Mike you can pull all day long at 225° when taking the measurement from the hot line coming out of the tranny like your doing. When I set mine up I called 3 different shops in town (all with excellent reps) and asked all the same question without telling them if I had talked to anyone else and all said Yep 225°. My question was "What temp can I run all day long with my set up pulling 10k lbs, I don't care about a one time temp I'm talked about all dang day - basically max sustained temps"?.

I would if I were you put a call into Brian and ask him. It's his tranny and his warranty so let him choose. But I suspect his answer will be the same as I got only because the fluid your running is the same as the fluid I was running.

Darrin Tosh

IDI Hound
Reaction score
One question, y'all... I already have a reasonably sized transmission cooler on the truck. Not sure what rating it is.

Mike,
My Brother has a BTS and has been to Brians shop and spoke with him a number of times. His advice for a cooler is to install a factry one off a Super Duty Diesel, and "that is all the cooling you will ever need". So I did the same thing for my C6. I see 215-220 max on the hot line.

analog

Reaction score
Mikes91 said:

Is there any such cooler that comes recommended? I wouldn't mind upgrading to a larger unit, but my concern is that I'd be blocking off more of the radiator. Not a good deal...

Mike

Mike, my Tru-cool 4590 blocks a good amount of the radiator. It increased water temps a little. About 1/2 a letter in the word NORMAL on the factory guage. That said, it dropped my trans temp by 20-30*.

Here is a pic of it installed: Installed

I plan to move it to the left a little to block less of the radiator.