I Have a Working Tranmission Temp Gauge!!!

Mikes91

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, jumped a couple of contacts yesterday morning, and I now have a working transmission temp gauge!

Also took a hacksaw to my tri-gauge a-pillar pod. Just couldn't stand the squeaking anymore.

Sawed off the top where it screws to the truck, and the bottom (which never fit correctly anyway). I attached the gauge pod to the factory a-pillar trim via HEAVY DUTY automotive velcro. I'll probably eventually get out a drill and drill through the factory a-pillar trim, through the a-pillar so that I can hold things together via sheetmetal screws just in case of an accident.

I may just elect to take my chances, though. Clean-looking, quiet installation... with ALL 3 gauges working for the first time. I'll snap a photo or 2 tomorrow.

I have found that getting the trans temp up above 140-145 is pretty tough in normal stop-and-go city driving. Gave the truck enough of a run to get it to operating temp. I didn't get onto the truck hard, mainly because I want it to last another 100,000 miles. No reason to abuse it. Temps do rise when stopping after long uphill climbs. It'll be interesting to see how things go on the highway or the first time I pull a trailer.

Mike

Mikes91

Full Access Member
Reaction score
budtoh3zo said:
That is a little cold u should have ur temps around 180*F

Are you sure? That's 30 degrees from the TOP I'd want to see while pulling a heavy trailer. I know she's been hotter than 210 before... after all, heat was probably the cause for the trans failure last year.

I'll need to take her on the highway... may just be that she takes awhile to heat up.

She got up to about 150 at worst today on the way back from school. Tomorrow I'll try to take her out for a longer run on the highway.

budtoh3zo

Reaction score
Im almost positive someone correct me if im wrong but is it not atleast 180 it starts to varnish the tranny and at 240 start to coke?

ericboutin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hmm...not sure but I only see in the 180 range while towing my TT. On a really hot day like last wkend she got a little bit above 180 towing down to the campground but usually around town empty I don't see that high of a temp.

rancherman84

P.E.R.F.E.C.T!
Reaction score
mine runs about 135 all the time,my gauge starts at 140.thats checking it with one of those laser temp pickups
have seen it at 145 but that was on a 90 degree day pulling a trailer

Mikes91

Full Access Member
Reaction score
rancherman84 said:
mine runs about 135 all the time,my gauge starts at 140.thats checking it with one of those laser temp pickups
have seen it at 145 but that was on a 90 degree day pulling a trailer

We have two VERY different trucks then.

Gave my truck an easy workout today moving a piece of furniture for a friend. I got her up to 190 climbing steep hills on the way to his place, followed by backing up his driveway (short). This was all unloaded... the furniture only weighed 150 pounds or so and fit into the bed of the truck.

Hope this is normal. Things cooled down while idling for a few minutes as we loaded the furniture. Cooled down once we got rolling (after we got out of the stop and go/uphills), too.

Mikes91

Full Access Member
Reaction score
budtoh3zo said:
Do u have ur temp gage on the HOT line or the Cooler one?

The gauge sender is mounted within the Perma-Cool transmission filter head assembly, directly between the fluid inlet and outlet lines...

Mike

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
More than likely your in the hot line coming out of the tranny and your temps are fine. Seen stuff like this on The Enterprise. No worries - your doing just fine. If there was anything I could not break it was the tranny.

Mikes91

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If this is the case, Travis, what kind of trans temps can I expect? I assume 210 degrees is still the top limit I'd want to see under normal operation?

Guess the best place to put the sending unit would be the transmission pan, eh? Not planning to drop that any time soon...

analog

Reaction score
Everything I've read said at 220 in the hot line is when you should start worrying. I regularly see 190 going up hills unloaded, and mine is in the hot line. Cruising on flat road it hovers around 170-180. I have mine mounted in the exact same oil filter as you do Mike.

ericboutin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mikes91 said:
If this is the case, Travis, what kind of trans temps can I expect? I assume 210 degrees is still the top limit I'd want to see under normal operation?

Guess the best place to put the sending unit would be the transmission pan, eh? Not planning to drop that any time soon...

Hey Mike, no need to drop the pan to put the sensor in. There's a spot on the driver's side of the tranny with a spot for a sensor. Just take the bolt out that's there and screw your sensor right in. If you decide to go that route of course. Here's some lousy pics of the location I admit.

Clicky here for pics

RKOCH

Fellow Oil Burner
Reaction score
First thing you all need to do is throw those damn E4OD's out and put a C-6 in there. I use a C-6 with an atlas T case with an overdrive / underdrive spilter.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
placidoert

Members online