I got it out! I got it out! I got it out!

Silver91Hatch

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know your pain. I just got all 8 of mine oil last night. 22 degrees F and 1/2 raining, replaced all 8 and ad my fingers crossed as the previous owner had installed Autolites. Post up the pics, I would like to see the tool.

Fishin76

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ok, here's what I did....

I had my son put his finger on the gp hole to feel for the compression stroke and tell me when the air stopped coming out. You must be on the compression stroke, or a valve is open and the sucking effect will be less once you put a vacuum to the cylinder. I went in about 10-15 degree spurts so he could feel the air rush out. He told me when and I backed up about 5 degrees or so.

After I found TDC on the affected cylinder ( #7 for me) I used the tool in pic 1 to gently push the tip back down into the pre-cup just so it fell in. You could easily use something else (smaller diameter the better) that fit in the all the way to the bottom. After that, I removed the injector with a 1" deep well socket I got at O'rielly auto parts for $8.

You must be registered for see images attach

Then I measured an cut the top portion of a transmission funnel off (not pretty) so that my shop vacs solid end went in and all but sealed to it. My 4.5 hp 12 gallon shop vac would hold the funnel to itself. I would recommend a bigger vac that this, as I will explain later.

Then I stuck this cheepy harbor freight blow gun in the GP hole. Let it bend when you put it in so you can get the tip as far down as you can. This one will go all the way.

Wiggle (yes, its a technical term) the blow gun around while you force the funnel attached to the shop vac in the injector hole until you cannot hear air coming in from the sides of the funnel.

Again, A bigger stronger shop vac may not need such a seal, but mine did. At one point after no success, I put the first tool in and kinda beat it about in the pre-cup at an attempt to free the tip from the carbon and diesel fuel mix ( i have a leaky injector), then went back to the blow gun and vacuum combo.

When it finally came out, I heard the tip rattling around in the end of the funnel. I pulled up quick, and pointed the funnel and vac hose to the pasenger side. Then it went all the way into the belly of the vac. yeah! A bigger vac may have sucked it all the way up and you would have only heard the tip rattle through the hose on its way to the vac dirt collector.

The recovered tip:

Hope this helps someone else

Knuckledragger

blowing chunks and grabbing porcelain
Reaction score
gp extraction story

Congratulations! excellent fabrication and execution of the plan. I am getting prepared to replace my glow plugs. This helps me prepare also for the possibility of a blown out Autolite (I know there is at least one installed) or other broken tip.

Fishin76

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The one that swelled on me was a Champion. The 1 autolite I removed came out fine.

Goofyexponent

Mentally Unstable..
Reaction score
Shattered pistons, bent rods, busted pre-cups in the head (rendered useless).

remainder of a piston in an oil pan after trying to pass a GP tip...-cuss

Cincinnati Guy

Reaction score
So if one were to have one stuck in the engine and not know it would it instantly blow your motor or do it anytime down the road?

Fishin76

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ya, unless you miraculously passed it through the engine unscathed. I could not, and would not take that chance. I was beginning to think about pullin the head as I came home from work. It's not unheard of to pass one, but not worth it to me to try.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alleycat

Members online