I found..

geno8769

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I found a 91 F250 4x4 extended cab that runs good, but the 5 speed is shot.

I also have a 92 4X2 with a not so hot motor, but a rebuilt ZF-5.

Is there a large difference between 2 wheel drive ZF's and 4 wheel drive ZF's.

Please let me know..

Thanks.

Silver Burner

Burnin' Oil&Rubber
Reaction score
Short answer, YES. It can be changed, but youd have to take both transmissions apart and swap the gears from the good 2WD trans to the bad 4WD trans assuming the shaft is also good. OR, just sell the good 2WD trans to pay for a rebuild of the bad 4WD trans...

phazertwo

Die Summer DIE!
Reaction score
not to sure on this, but on a Toyota trannys there is a front and back half of the case. You can take the back half off the 2x4 and put the 4x4 back half on. MIGHT be an option with the zf, just depends on how the case splits.

PZ

geno8769

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I thought the splitting of the case might be a relatively easy solution.

But that is what I get for thinking.

Thanks for the great info.

MUDKICKR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
just run the 2wd transmission and get a divorced mount transfer case. cheaper in the long run and you have a bulletproof transfer case.

geno8769

Full Access Member
Reaction score
just run the 2wd transmission and get a divorced mount transfer case. cheaper in the long run and you have a bulletproof transfer case.

This sounds good, but what exactly is a "divorced mount transfer case"? A name and part number so I could do some research would be great, since I am new to 4 wheel drive..

I spent the first 42 years of my life without a "need" for a 4x4.

Thanks again,

Silver Burner

Burnin' Oil&Rubber
Reaction score
I think for someone who has never had a 4X4, that might be a pretty hefty job...custom drivelines front and rear and between the trans/t-case, custom mounting brackets, custom linkage for the divorced t-case. Unless I'm way off and they just make a kit for it. That would be awesome. Then I'd say definitely do that!

Diesel_brad

Dunce
Reaction score
Depending what is wrong with the 4wd ZF it would be pretty cheap to repair it. I just had mine rebuild(bearings, seals, syncros) for $450. Then you will know what you have