Hypermax vs ATS vs Banks...

Dillonn

Reaction score
Just looking for general opinions from people who have delt with these systems and there install. Its difficult to decide let me know your thoughts what ever they are. :dunno

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The old ATS 088 really walked together. I had a real mechanic to help me out and I spent a lot of time planning the install and making sure no detail was overlooked. Hypermax is the only company that seems to have IDIs as part of their futre business plan if that means anything to you and if you buy new they are still the cheapest, good products too. The downside is that I hear the up pipes are hard to gain clearance for on some vehicles. I know nothing about the Banks kits except they are too expensive for my taste and I don't care for the fact that the turbo is unusual. Might make parts hard to come by when they stop supporting IDIs. ATS and Hypermax and the old Banks are all using Garret or Air Research stuff so parts should be available unless there's an outright ban on old diesels.

Dillonn

Reaction score
By the way what is a T-18 Im kind of new to this diesel thing, and why the switch?

dakotajeep

Patrolling
Reaction score
Its a four speed manual transmission....not sure why he switched. Probably preference.

Thad

greg_a_morton

Full Access Member
Reaction score
guys not trying to steal thread but was wondering if any body has different pics of these kits on engine out of engine bay. I need to see pipes to see what I might be able to make work with my sidewinder turbo with od auto.

Rot Box

Northern Utah
Reaction score
The old ATS 088 turbo like mine is non wastegated and it seems to work somewhat decent. I wouldn't mind going wastegated as I drive offroad a lot and would like a quicker spool up... Oh well. I don't like the cast slip coupler that is used to join the manifolds to the turbo housing on my ATS. It sucks and when they don't come apart its time to lift the cab off the frame to get the pile out of there. Installing and uninstalling the 088 was one of my worst nightmares LOL

That said I would buy whatever you can find in good shape for cheap. Some are better than others but they are all pretty good. I don't think many IDI's are worth the money to spend $1800+ for a new turbo kit. Thats just my opinion though ;Sweet

greg_a_morton

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just need the pipes for a nonwaste gated banks kit. trying to figure if I can make any of the others work.

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Probably you can't, but if you or someone you know is a good fabricator you can probably reverse engineer what Banks did. Spending money on these trucks is not an issue for me, and it would be less of one if I wasn't worried that they greens might try to ban them altogether in the forseeable future. I think firewall clearance is an issue in any and all IDI turbo installs except the custome remote mount units.

Dillonn

Reaction score
Ok so before I start this turbo install if I do a two inch body lift the hypermax install wont be much of a problem? (86 f250 6.9l)

greg_a_morton

Full Access Member
Reaction score
all the kits are made to fit in the 6.9 trucks but the firewall clearance is very tight. I have never seen a kit that said you had to have a body lift to make work. I have took a few kits off trucks to sell and it is a *****. On the 87 truck with a 5 speed I cut the firewall because I could not get the slip pipes to lift out of the turbo housing. I am getting a 91 crewcab next week that has a full ats and am worrying about being able to get all off without damaging pipes. My self I like the way the banks stuff fits that I have been around but I have never used the hypermax stuff.

Dillonn

Reaction score
Thanks For the info, I have herd from just about everybody what a bit** it is to put one of these kits on. I have to replace tires very soon so I figured a lager tire and small lift kit might kill two birds with one stone so to speak. Still gathering info thanks, again...:cool

FordGuy100

Reaction score
Basically it's going to be hard wired way. Our trucks just don't have a lot of clearance between the back of the engine and the firewall. It can be done though.

That's one area that the cummins has the advantage. The turbo is right there. Comparedto my turbo were I wouldn't wish pulling the turbo off the pediatal, to anyone. First time takes some time but the. You learn tricks to make it go faster.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle

Members online