hypermax turbo exhaust prob.

91f250hyper

Reaction score
my exhaust (i think it is the exhaust) has come off the turbo housing and Know their is no boost from the turbo. may be a stupid question but how do i reatach it or is it broke for good. all help is really appriciated. thank you.

aaklingler

Reaction score
Do you know for sure what has come off? You need to find the problem and discribe it to us. It doesn't sound like the exaust came off. I think there is a plug in ther intake that can come out.

Nickbf2504x4

ATV Racr-IDI Driver
Reaction score
i know on my old ATS setup, the Downpipe used to like to slip out of my turbo housing, i used some high temp metal epoxy to reattach it temporarily, then put two little tack welds that can be ground off when/if i take it apart. ;Sweet

rthomas

Reaction score
do you mean the feeder pipes that go from the exhaust manifolds to the back of the turbo?, or do you mean the down pipe?

bgfire

Reaction score
If you don't see any pipes that have come off, I would check the plug that goes in the back of the intake manifold where the CDR valve used to attach before the Hypermax was put on. If it blew out, you will get zero boost. I would also check the soft hose that connects the turbo to the intake hat for cracks or leaks.

Post back when you find the problem, so that we can all learn as well.

Bill

91f250hyper

Reaction score
i think it is the down pipe. it is the pipe to the left of the turbo if you are standing at the front of the truck looking at the engine.

bgfire

Reaction score
If it is the newer style Pulse system, it just pushes into the turbine housing. You may have to take the two mounting bolts loose; they are about halfway down the downpipe, and are made to hold it stationary. It should pop back into place, then you tighten the bolts back up.

Hope this helps.

Bill

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
OK. When I read this...
my exhaust (i think it is the exhaust) has come off the turbo housing and Know their is no boost from the turbo.

I'm very confused. Let's stop right here and find out what has come off, and maybe get a picture of it. Because there is a very big difference between the down pipe, and the up pipe(s), which by the way, it would help to know if this is the pulse turbo or the older style. If the down pipe has come off, and you have no boost, then you have two problems, and if the downpipe came off because your housing cracked, you may have very serious problems.

91f250hyper

Reaction score
it is a pulse turbo. heir are some pictures of the turbo

Attachments

• P9260001.JPG
    P9260001.JPG
    109.5 KB · Views: 8
  • P9260002.JPG
    P9260002.JPG
    21.6 KB · Views: 10

91f250hyper

Reaction score
well it stopped raining finnally so i was abel to get under the truck and see that the exhaust broke under the cab. i cant believe that is all that holds the downpipe up against the turbo or am i missing something like gasket or something else.next question is can i run the truck back and forth to work (50 mile rtp) or is that too much.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't suggest driving it unless you like a) the sooty exhaust b) you have full coverage insurance due to the heat from the exhaust starting a fire in your engine compartment. Depending on where the break is, the downpipe meeting up to the turbo needs to fit snugly and direct the hot exhaust out of the engine compartment or you will have a real problem on your hands.

rthomas

Reaction score
you probably lost the two bolts that hold the dp to the mounting bracket, they suck to get started. i dont think id do much driving until you get this taken care of, it could make a mess and cook some wires. BTW those two bolts are 5/16x1/2, allen heads are worth a thought too

bgfire

Reaction score
I agree with rthomas, you probably lost the two keeper bolts which let the downpipe pop out of the turbine. All I can say is good luck if that is the case, as they are a real pain to get started! Maybe yours will go easier than mine did.

I wouldn't drive it until its fixed.

Good luck, and let us know if the bolts were the problem.

Bill

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The downpipe is held into the turbine housing by a snap ring In fact, I remember when I put mine together thinking "boy, this looks like a one way trip". I have no idea how you would get it apart if you wanted to. Looks like you found a way though!

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
mel-
I did an install on a new Hypermax kit that I got from Huff and it didn't have the snap ring. I was looking at it and was wondering how it was going to stay put. But it did with the bolts on the DP.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Staff online

Members online