Hypermax Help

IDI_Journeyman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’m in need of some real, quality recommendations/information on this situation. I have a friend that bought what looks like an early hypermax non-wastegated turbo kit for really cheap. Bad part is the truck it was on originally was involved in a collision. I’m not sure if it was head on, rear ended or what happened. My friend gave me this turbo to see if I could make it work for his truck. It had a broken bracket, was missing a oil feed line and the oil return had a hole in it. Not the best shape, but got it for a cheap price.

The wheel has some radial play, but no axial play. If you pull the compressor wheel down then turn it you can feel it barly scraping either the housing or debris from sitting out with no cover. I took the compressor side snail off today for inspection and found when the truck had it’s accident, it had bent two of the fins on the compressor wheel against the housing upon impact.(pictures below)

I told my friend what I found today and he brought up possibly buying a wicked wheel for it since the old wheel may be shot. On R&D they have the wicked wheel for ATS kits and a “Hypermax Pulse” turbo kit. I don’t know if this is a pulse kit or not.

So in the end I have two questions:

1. Based on the pictures and data plate I have provided, does anyone know anything about this turbo? Any input is appreciated. (Personal experience, boost output, size...etc)

2. Where can I find a gasket kit to re-seal this turbo? Top to bottom, both sides, the whole thing.

You must be registered for see images attach

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
Russ may have stuff....

Hypermax is still in business and supports these old turbos. I have a Hypermax turbo and sent them an E-Mail with a few questions, they answered them and even sent me some info.

https://www.gohypermax.com/

Mine seems to work well. I don't have any boost numbers, but with an IDI, my opinion is ANY turbo is better than no turbo.

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That is a first gen hypermax pulse turbo, its effectively an ats 088 or 085 with hypermax's flavor of housings instead of ats. They perform alright, but are not very responsive due to the long up pipe design and restrictive turbine wheel, but if youre na now it will make a significant difference in performance either way just like scott said. With the damage on the wheel and the housing, Id recommend getting the turbo rebuilt and balanced, with missing material on the compressor wheel the balance will be off and with it touching the housing when you add sideload I wouldn't expect that turbo to last long in its condition. Russ or I can rebuild it, I have some upgrades that would really wake that turbo up.

tjsea

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Like was said Hypermax is still in business. The early non-pulse setup only has one uppipe, but the later pulse system has 2 uppipes. It's up to you, but if it is a non pulse setup and the bracket was broke you can buy a new pulse braket, 2 uppipes and a new divided turbo housing if you want to upgrade. Btw the pulse kit originally came with a 1.15 ar turbine housing with a p trim turbine wheel. I was told the p trim flows very well, but it would benefit from a tighter turbine housing. 1.15 ar is just really open. Maybe drop down to a 1.0 or something. A friend of mine was running a .84 before for instant spool, but it was to small on the high rpm end.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk