hypermax exhausts

downunder0323

Reaction score
i was wondering if anyone has put a hypermax exhaust on there 1986 f250 and i am curious if made a difference

i was also wondering if anyone knows if you can take a powerstroke exhaust from hypermax and put it on a 1986 f250 by making some adjustments very minor adjustments

zigg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I put the hypermax exhaust onto my '86 F250. I used the Banks N/A "Y" pipe from the engine to down under by the transcrossmember, then Hypermax all the way back. It's fine. Is there a noticable improvement in power. Hard to tell. It is quite loud though. The Hypermax muffler isn't much more than a straight through pipe with holes drilled into it on the inside. Engine breaths good, but is it worth the extra money? Dunno. But, if you gotta replace the exhaust, it sure won't hurt, and if you like the big engine sound almost like having a straight pipe, then go for it.

Zigg :)

downunder0323

Reaction score
do u think i would be able to put a 5in exhaust from hypermax that requires me to have a turbo even though i do not have a turbo

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I doubt it would hurt anything to have the 5" on a N/A the question is why? Just cause you like the way it looks? If so...go for it. Thats designed for a PSD so you're going to have to tweak it some. I'd say the biggest problem you'll have is adapting the manifolds which are 2.5" ID to that 5" pipe, plus that exhaust is probably intended for a turbo back, so it normally will plug into a downpipe or something(I guess not sure on this one)...the 3.5" exhaust would probably be cheaper and easier, and if you have good welding and fabrication skills you should read dsl \dog catcher's thread about the cheap 4" exhaust.... Good luck

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
do u think i would be able to put a 5in exhaust from hypermax that requires me to have a turbo even though i do not have a turbo

The exhaust systems are typically designed to bolt to the down pipe, and the down pipe is typically designed to bolt to the stock exhaust systems, so in essance, Y pipe, or Down pipe, both have the same connector and arrive at the same point under the truck.

Dsl_Dog_Treat

I lost my face to the jaws of a poodle
Reaction score
On an N/A truck anything over 3" is gonna be just for looks.:dunno
But for the big rig look and sound bigger is better.:D
Having been stock, 3" and now 4" on Goldie going from N/a to turbo, a 3" system with a good flowing muffler will do great for ya.

I had a 3" Dynomax pro flow series muffler and pipes on being N/A and then turbo.....Sounded awesome either way, but had to go larger after the turbo install as there was a great deal more air moving thru and it was noticeable. The 4" did the trick for reducing that added restriction after being force fed.:D

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle

Members online