Hypermax Dadiesl IDI Dragster

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well I'm finishing recovering from food poisoning from some bad Mexican food and I spend a bit of time digging up more history on the legendary "1500" hp idi from the 90's that hypermax. I found plenty of threads with one shred of info but never a single thread with a compilation of what we know, so here we go:

So history of the engine: in the early 90s Bill Jahns began to work with Hypermax to build an IDI for pulling contests. Max Lagod from Hypermax built the engine. The engine ran for a season doing pulling contests but was banned from the local pullers association. So the engine was removed from its original chassis and was dropped into a 1969 F100 with a tube chassis, built C6 with transbrake and Strange rear end. The truck was know as "Dadiesl". According to one of the engine builders the truck ran low 10s and possibly made it to the 9s as well (which would have been the first diesel to do so, almost a decade before the second diesel to follow up that time), lifted the front tires up twelve inches and weighed 4600lbs. The truck drag raced for a number of years and was driven on the street to car shows but the owner eventually grew tired of the inconvenience of driving it (could only run during the summer with the help of ether) and the truck was parked while Bill worked on other projects with land speed racing. The truck is said to still be owned by the same guy and is just sitting in some barn unused and still assembled somewhere around Joliet Illinois.

The engine details are unclear but from what I can tell it made in the neighborhood of 1200-1500 hp and 2500 lbs of torque at the crank but around 900 hp at the wheels. The block was a 7.3 sleeved down to a 6.9 and a 6 inch thick bottom end girdle. The heads were ported but still utilized the prechambers, they even used stock 7.3 head bolts but eventually oringed the heads. The fuel system was completely custom with a P pump that did 6000 rpms with a compound turbo setup that made 147 pounds of boost along with nitrous and water **** injection. The engine was decompressed to 15-1 and would only start on ether.

As I said before there is very little known about this engine and who knows how reliable alot of the information out there really is, but it still very interesting. Attached are some pictures I've found as well as some links for those who want to do some more reading.
You must be registered for see images attach

http://www.oilburners.net/threads/ok-then-back-to-the-1200hp-idi.49694/page-2

http://www.mytractorforum.com/112-trucks/133063-1200-hp-idi.html

http://www.trucktrend.com/cool-trucks/1404-diesel-drag-racing-under-pressure/

http://www.competitiondiesel.com/forums/showthread.php?t=23947&page=4

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is a nice summary of the info I've seen posted over the years. When I was out at Hypermax last Easter, we did talk about this engine, and yes it supposedly does still exist and sits unused. It was stupid expensive to make.

pelky350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I made a thread like this a while ago same truck, ibelieve hypermax said they can make it for like 20k again someone replied to it

no mufflers

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It would be awesome if someone found it and could get some pictures. I would love to see this thing.

pelky350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The truck is probably gone, and I belive someone had mentioned the motor is in somebody's shop in Illinois not being used currently

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I believe they were in the process of putting a fiberglass body on the truck when it was parked but something happened and then body was used on a jet dragster project owned by Bill, so its very possible the engine is sitting outside the chassis. Although it would be great to own this engine, it would really only be usable in a racing environment, what I would really like to do is tear it down and see how that p pump was retrofitted to the IDIs timing gear as well as what head modifications were done.

pelky350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It looks like they probabky used the same timing gear on top but made the housing fit the pump and probably drilled new holes for the p pump to bolt to possibly? I saw a more recent picture than that on this sites old threads looking around one day so is been done more than once but who knows if that was ever a finished product or not, custom intake manifolds would have to be made for more room for the pump, custom lines and injectors would be needed as well amoung the many other various modifications needed to burn the fuel a pump like that puts out, reading on that forum the more recent one it put out over 300ccs but could supply way more when turned up

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah it was definitly a monster, I would think there would be a great deal of difficulty in making timing work with that pump on our engine? Maybe I'm wrong but I think all the hard lines would have to fabricated and bent so they were all the same length o_O