ok then, BACK TO THE 1200hp IDI

88beast

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ya there was a video a while back but i havnt seen it lately it was of it running the quarter on youtube the water is to cool everything as you can see no ic plumbing going to the front of the truck so you got to cool

Sw1tchfoot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
More info from an old website that no longer exists:

You must be registered for see images

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
adapting a bosh pump isnt too bad or any other pump ........ i looked into this and found guys to do it all but its not worth the money for suspected power when a 4 rotor pump can put out just as much fuel
so all being said a 4 rotor 350 plunger pump with a pump cam mod can do 600 hp easy with a good turbo setup and youll all see some good numbers once i get a pump made

....a very good fuel system more than a stock pump at least 350 plungers and a 4 rotor would do wonders
Tom, who is building these IP's? More information please (the shop, the output, cost, and so on....).
As far as the Bosch P-pump vs. the rotary Stanadynes. The P-pump is king of diesel horse power because they can produce very large injection volumes and pressures with less modification and can do so much more reliably that other IP's. That's why they are used to mechincally inject PSD's. Adding a P-pump to an IDI or a PSD is actually quite complicated, but seeing one on an IDI would be cool.;Sweet

so when the tractor pull guys stopped using these motors the parts stopped there was no need anymore
now as these motors get older they are getting phased out but we can bring that back

many cam makers have mad cams for these motors and if you talk to the right people you problly could get it made again
Never seen a 6.9 or 7.3 IDI in an IH or Case tractor puller. Just 300 and 400 series diesels.

Any more information on these cam makers? Who, what, cost...... you know.:D

Heath

Dave7.3

Diesel ******
Reaction score
the problem is the idi is too reliable few wanted to add power till recently so very few companies have aftermarket parts cause theres no market for a p pump conversion kit on an idi or anything like that even

I feel I should correct you here...there have been aftermarket turbo kits available for these IDI engines ever since they were created. Hence you see for example older Banks kits that have "6.9 Turbo" on the filter lid.
You have to understand that there was a poor outlook on diesels during that era. It took until the 1980s to actually get a full size pickup with a diesel from the factory. I mean, why would you even bother with a slow diesel (at that time) that couldn't get out of its own way during the muscle-car craze? There simply wasn't an interest until the mid 90s when people started to discover a hidden power in pickup truck diesels.

Honestly, can you even recall a performance diesel shop that was around 20 years ago? I know only within the last 6 years they have been popping up in my area. The transition is especially noticeable when you take note of the diesel performance magazine market that has exploded in the last decade. I sure don't remember ever seeing a Diesel Power Magazine until maybe 5 years ago?

Oh and as far as simply calling up hypermax to get info on all of their IDI secrets...if it were that easy everyone would be in a hotrod IDI by now. You have to remember that they are still a business that needs to make money. Would all of their money into R&D on that engine be worthwhile if they just spilled the beans for free? I sure wouldn't think so myself.

Just my couple cents,
-Dave

Sw1tchfoot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Where did you find that info? I have never seen that before, also never heard of that site.

I found an old discussion thread of the 1200hp IDI from 2002 when looking through a google search, and it linked to that site; but the site no longer existed. So I used the webarchives to see if they had a copy of the site; and they did. So I simply took a screenshot of it.

http://www.archive.org/web/web.php

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Info like that is cool but not really that useful. This is why I've always thought the 250-300 RWHP range is where those of us that would like a truck to play with on the dyno and at the track occasionally but mostly want reliable diesel power and decent fuel economy should shoot for. Sadly I have no experience building engines and because of lack of budget and the somewhat tired but still reasonably healthy IDI that sits in my 86 precludes an actual "need" for hands on learning. It seems like the collective wisdom is starting to say that the limiting factor with our trucks isn't so much that the engine is weak or that we can't make enough fuel. Who has really "run out of fuel" on a Moose or DPS pump? It's that the turbo kits were designed so that normal people who might not be careful or good gauge watchers and would not upgrade the head bolts to studs or coat the gaskets would not blow the heads off. We need better turbos, that is the next step. Something that looks economical and still reasonably conservative would be a HX35 or H1C but I'm not really sure if they would act the same on an IDI as they do on a 6bt.

DeepRoots

Tug Engineer
Reaction score
a p pump is about the same cost as a db2
really 88beast? Tell ya what... I'll trade you 10 db2 pumps for 10 Bosch P-Pumps.
pm me your address please, I'll be sending them asap.

Thanks for that post Heath... there seems to be an annoying rash recently of people that claim all sorts of stupid crap about these engines, but won't tell anyone about it. (for example: Some people still make custom high powered cams for 7.3idi's, you just have to know the right people).
What made this forum awesome was the sharing of information for greater good. We all stood on someone's shoulders to attain excellence.

ohh well, one down, 3 more to go.

later
Dp

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was thinking the same thing about the DB2 vs Bosch inline pumps. Even the VE Bosch pump is around $750 with a good core more even than a Moose pump and way more than what other builders charge. I bet it would be a lot worse to buy one outright and a P pump is $1000 and up rebuilt again with a good core. A DB4 is probably comparable to a VE.

88beast

Full Access Member
Reaction score
hey deeproots how about this if anyone wants info deeproots dont believe pm me
there is a gm 4 rotor pump for marine apps avaible and i got a guy who will customize parts for it to work
also power per dollar the db2 and p series are close in price whats it take to get the flows a p pump will do out of a db2? anyone deeproots do you know? so whats cheaper p pump or db2? use pressure or flow
also ill name some manufractures when deep roots appoligizes for acuzations without anything to back it up
and bann me i dont need this site i want to help you all out but it seems like deeproots dont want that
so anyone who wants my info i spent years getting just pm me and take it for waht you want

brdmh44

Midwest Chopper
Reaction score
Guy's, this is a GREAT forum! But it seems like the last few months has been all about calling one another out. I applaud all of the members who dedicate time and money to advance these motors in any way possible - unfortunately there will always be skeptics.

88beast - I'd love to read any information pertaining to these particular pump modifications and/or swaps! Please pass along any info you may have pertaining to the matter if that is possible. An alternate route for fueling if affordable opens many doors to alot of us - whether for all out power or just yanking a trailer around.

Let's keep an open mind, everyday more people keep buying these older Ford gems and it's wonderful to see and read about the ingenuity coming from "regular joes" garages.

Keep up the great work guys!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
E Moeller