Hypermax Cowl Induction....

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
i am going to do the hypermax cowl on my truck. I was looking at my firewall though and it is not flat. i was wondering how well the ducting seals up against the firewall.

There's a perfect little compound curve in the face of it ( this is what folks don't take into account when they think it will be easier to make their own ) you have to cut away a small chunk of plastic shielding on some models that is near the brake booster before you can line it up to start cutting. The hypermax piece fits flush with the firewall. a little sealant on it and it is watertight ;Sweet

'94IDITurbo7.3

HAMMER DOWN!
Reaction score
There's a perfect little compound curve in the face of it ( this is what folks don't take into account when they think it will be easier to make their own ) you have to cut away a small chunk of plastic shielding on some models that is near the brake booster before you can line it up to start cutting. The hypermax piece fits flush with the firewall. a little sealant on it and it is watertight ;Sweet

Sweet.;Sweet

That just sealed the deal for me.;Sweet

What do you guys that have this setup do for when it is snowing out?

'94IDITurbo7.3

HAMMER DOWN!
Reaction score
Also it will suck snow into the turbo, ask me how i know;Really if its gonna snow un hook it, but like said rain is not an issue

i am not really worried about rain water or snow melt but when the snow is still snow. it is not hard to take my scraper and clean off the top of the cowl and some of the hood if that is what it takes.

flareside_thun

Reviving The General Tao
Reaction score
Yes they do have the drains but they tend to get clogged with tree debris and whatnot. At the very least, I'd remove the rubber ****** deals on the drains and flush everything out with a garden hose that has decent pressure...prepare to be there a little while.

'94IDITurbo7.3

HAMMER DOWN!
Reaction score
Yes they do have the drains but they tend to get clogged with tree debris and whatnot. At the very least, I'd remove the rubber ****** deals on the drains and flush everything out with a garden hose that has decent pressure...prepare to be there a little while.

it would probly be wise for me to do that while we still have decent weather.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
Sweet.;Sweet

That just sealed the deal for me.;Sweet

What do you guys that have this setup do for when it is snowing out?

If it's snowing heavy enough to block off the intake grates, then they say to remove the hose and pop it behind the seat, I have yet to run into snow that heavy, but I know it's very possible in some places ( besides, it will fight with your heater for air, and the engine wins if you start climbing hills with a blocked grate, it might get chilly inside :D as long as theres no restriction, you won't notice it, I've only noticed in in extreme rain and snow ), as far as rain, you have drains in the bottom corners of your fenders on each side that let the water out, plus one in your air cleaner, I've run in storms so hard that traffic was down to a crawl and most were pulling over and I checked inside the air cleaner and it was bone dry.

transmogrifiednow

Reaction score
What about the sound? I've heard some guys say there's a loud sucking noise, but maybe they just didn't install it right? Can you hear a difference in the cab? Just curious.

damac

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What about the sound? I've heard some guys say there's a loud sucking noise, but maybe they just didn't install it right? Can you hear a difference in the cab? Just curious.

our truck was a 6.9 non turbo and it was definately noisier. it got old quick with me since the trucks are already noisy. that truck engine blew and we got rid of it so i didn't have to deal with it for long :)

dunk

Dunce
Reaction score
Devils advocate... What is the advantage of pulling intake air from the cowl vs the factory cold air scoop in the grille?

Not worried about snow or rain, pull your kick panels and clean your drain and there's plenty of air and drainage.

dunk

Dunce
Reaction score
High pressure yes, but so is the grille. The cold air plastic bit, and large hose that says "remove for fording". Granted the grille ram air/cold air intake is part blocked by the side panels of the rad (just looked), it should still be relatively high pressure vs under the hood and absolutely colder.

I will likely do the Hypermax cowl induction eventually, if just to make a more tidy engine bay. Trick is a compact but free flowing filter assembly and making that turn back to the cowl without restricting flow. Pics please...