Hydro boost and steering box install questions

HS108

Diesel Newb
Reaction score
I am in need of a new steering box, I can turn left but cannot turn right very well, so its time.I am going to order a new Blue Top steering box.

I also have a hydroboost set up Ive been sitting on, I would like to finally install since I will have the area so open with the box out.

I guess I should replace my PS pump as well, go all new and fresh right?

My question is, Is it better to do it all at once? or one than the next? Also what is the recommended fluid for PS on these trucks

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You might as well if you can swing it. Just get a good one, not a cheapie. Stay away from Cardone. I used Lares for my gearbox. It was pretty cheap on RockAuto when I did mine. Not sure if the price has gone up or not.

The book calls for ATF. You can use power steering fluid if you prefer. I probably would use PS fluid if I was replacing everything with new.

nj_m715

government's finest
Supporting Member
Reaction score
do it at once, it should only be a few hours.
no sense in spilling oil everywhere twice

The_Josh_Bear

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's funny I was going to say the opposite, use ATF since you have the chance! The PO of my rig had PS fluid in there and I converted back to ATF. Didnt have much issues with the PSF but the ATF is better in the system and still going strong for 8 years or so.
For one thing if you spill it, ATF doesnt eat paint like PSF does...but I dont remember all the pros/cons at the moment.

If your pump isn't groaning or leaking no need to replace, but I hear they aren't too expensive either. I'd be worried about fixing something that ain't broken with a poor quality replacement.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tyler9828

Members online