Huge Favor to ask - Check out Oregon truck

Matt_INW

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,

In my quest to find a CrewCab 4x4 with lower miles I've come across one in the greater Eugene Oregon area. I watched it a week or two on Craigslist. Then called them and spoke for 15 minutes on the phone (that was a couple 2 weeks ago). I was told the owner bought a new truck and just wants this one gone. The body has 180k on it and the engine and transmission 50k. The person selling it for the owner is who I spoke to on the phone and is the owners mechanic and said the owner isn't computer smart so asked him (the mechanic) to sell it for him. And the mechanic apparently doesn't really do diesels and knows nothing about IDIs. SO a lot of the 15 minute call was me telling him some things, like the need for SCA additive....

I don't suppose anyone is within a reasonable distance of it and would mind doing a HUGE favor for me and looking at it for me? It's an 8 hour drive for me. I'm toying with going anyways, but it's probably crazy to based on what you'll read below.

https://portland.craigslist.org/wsc/cto/d/92-ford-f350-diesel/6706930535.html

There are a couple big pauses. When the seller bought it several years ago it had a bad engine, and I don't know how but it doesn't have the turbo it should have (mechanic said markings on truck for ATS). The seller said it's never had one, and while the owner likes the truck it's always been slow (no turbo duh) he is retired now and finally bought a new truck. So the engine and transmission have 50k on them, and it's never had the coolant additive, and has plain green coolant. So perhaps right there I should forget it, but at $5,900 it's just SO tempting. It's also sat a lot the last few years, though has been run regularly and used on a random errand here and there. My truck was a bit like that (mostly sitting a year or three) and while it used to drip oil, it stopped after driving it about a year. But I need to also consider I may have just lucked out with mine. I was told this truck doesn't have any noticeable drips though.

To top it off I just searched all of Craigslist nation wide, and this is about it. There's one for $14k with 132k miles and a new paint job, and there are 2 or 3 others that are $20k. The rest have issues or high miles or bad paint etc. I wish this one wasn't 8 hours from me, or I'd have gone to look at it already.

That said I wish it was a manual. Eventually one might come up, but it's been long since I've seen a good one. And they're usually 15-20k, crazy sellers.

Thoughts? Anyone live close to Eugene? I am CRAZY?

Thank You,
Matt

Last edited:

riphip

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
50k is a good place to start with SCA additive. Nice looking truck for f350 w/D60 (maybe). $5900 not bad, closer to $4500-5000 better. Does not look abused from this side of pictures. You would do good for a trip & cash in your pocket!
May be gone soon

kcwright1979

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If that one falls through, there is one here in Eagle Point OR, outside Medford. White 4x4 crew lifted 180,000 with 130,000 on engine for 6k

homelessduck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If that one falls through, there is one here in Eagle Point OR, outside Medford. White 4x4 crew lifted 180,000 with 130,000 on engine for 6k

I live right outside of Methford, in the Applegate valley :) Don't think I've seen your truck around, but I don't come to town much anymore.

kcwright1979

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I live right outside of Methford, in the Applegate valley :) Don't think I've seen your truck around, but I don't come to town much anymore.
I’m still new to town, live in shady cove. Been here 6 months, 3rd move from my job in 18 months. My project is sitting in storage on a stand. Lost an oil jet awhile back and working on getting it running again. I picked up a 94 f350 CC 4x4 gasser to convert.

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
Why is it so expensive? Crew plus 4x4? Seems like a bad price for non-Turbo.

It has been the same exact front seat and center console as my 87, I guess it was swapped in, in my case.

I paid around $2300 for my extended RWD but it's not as pretty and I had to put a lot into it for parts and repairs. But a 92 could potentially need a lot too.

kcwright1979

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Why is it so expensive? Crew plus 4x4? Seems like a bad price for non-Turbo.

It has been the same exact front seat and center console as my 87, I guess it was swapped in, in my case.

I paid around $2300 for my extended RWD but it's not as pretty and I had to put a lot into it for parts and repairs. But a 92 could potentially need a lot too.

I don’t know why they want so much for the truck. I was passing on info to the OP.

homelessduck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’m still new to town, live in shady cove. Been here 6 months, 3rd move from my job in 18 months. My project is sitting in storage on a stand. Lost an oil jet awhile back and working on getting it running again. I picked up a 94 f350 CC 4x4 gasser to convert.
I like Shady Cove. Good fishing and rafting , and it's a nice distance from Medford. Medford has been going to **** over the last few years , there's a reason why it's known as methford. That'll be a nice truck ! I have a brown 88 f350 cc 4x4.

riphip

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Why is it so expensive? Crew plus 4x4?

Well maintained. VERY NICE 92
Probably drive it away w/o putting any $$ in it.

Matt_INW

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The one in Eagle point is interesting too, and it's manual! It doesn't look quite as nice though.

I HOPE they're both well maintained. But I've yet to buy a used vehicle that was as well taken care of as sellers claim. They always have some obvious work that's needed, and sometimes some bad surprises.

kcwright1979

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

It’s sitting next to a lumber mill in Eagle Point Oregon

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads