Hub seal leaks, what's too much?

NW_Iron

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the seals ordered for both sides. I was planning to do the job this weekend but I want to wait now. I'll do a full brake job and new bearings while I'm in there and needed mute than one day for that job. I have a camping trip 180mi South planned for Sunday, I want to take my truck.

This leak has developed after roughly 550mi since I bought it. I knew this was there at the time but it wasn't this bad the first 350mi. I don't like how black it is but I'm not alarmed. The oil is coating the inside of the wheel fender.

Plan is to top off diff today, run around town for about 40-60mi and watch the levels, as long as it doesn't start dumping oil or my brakes stop working I will make the long trip.

That stupid has hell?

Truck had been sitting 3 days when these pictures were taken, tilted about 4" to the drivers side. And is a 91/92 10.25"

You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
I wouldn't wait.
You have no rear brakes.
No point in doing the bearings. Can almost guarantee they're fine.
Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

NW_Iron

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah.... It's the brakes in worried about most. I already noticed they were a little harder last weekend.

I may just start the repair and forego the bearings if I want to drive the truck to the camp grounds. For this much work I can't help but think to replace them. Then again aftermarket isn't OE

I have to do the shoes no matter what so that could satisfy my "while I'm in there" bug.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
For now I would do seal, shoes, and hardware. (Well new fluid of course)
Shouldn't take but half a day at most.
I mean you can check the bearings while it's apart, but most likely they're fine.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

ifrythings

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Had this same issue when I got my truck, the cause is from a plugged diff vent that you really should pull out and make sure it's clear.

Your going to need seals, the locknut socket, shoes, hardware kit wouldn't hurt, adjuster kit each side wouldn't hurt and you will need new wheel cylinders as the gear oil makes the rubber swell and not seal anymore and a few cans of brake clean. It shouldn't take more then a few hours each side to do this.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'll reiterate do it. You have no brakes and 2x on the axle tube vent.

MTKirk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
X3 on the axle tube vent, it is your most likely culprit to blow the rear seal. Your entire rear brake assembly is going to need to be thoroughly cleaned and shoes replaced. Sorry but it's a horrible, messy job.

NW_Iron

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yep, it's gonna be long weekend. Pulling passenger side head tomorrow and then the brakes

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RangerDanger