How to when the search function won't do it

dgr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sometimes the search function just won't let you do what you need it to do. A search for CDR will fail for example. The bulletin board code is designed to protect the database from searches that would take to long to return a result. That is done by limiting searches that don't contain enough letters. Here is how you get around it without using any of the site's horsepower or in the case of ob, torque.

Search the site in google like this:
site:eek:ilburners.net cdr
Note that there is no space after the colon

Hope this helps you guys

Maverick1701

Full Access Member
Reaction score
what I do is on google is I input this:
"search item here" oilburners.net

Then it gives a few links together on google with a link that says "more results from oilburners.net" if you click that, all of the results will be threads from OB.net

attached pic to show how they appear on google.

You must be registered for see images attach

X-NRCan_IDI

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've done a google search too! Ironicly it yielded significantly more appropriate results than the ob.net search.......cookoo

Old Blue

Reaction score
Sometimes the search function just won't let you do what you need it to do. A search for CDR will fail for example. The bulletin board code is designed to protect the database from searches that would take to long to return a result. That is done by limiting searches that don't contain enough letters. Here is how you get around it without using any of the site's horsepower or in the case of ob, torque.

Search the site in google like this:
site:eek:ilburners.net cdr
Note that there is no space after the colon

Hope this helps you guys

I use this search method almost exclusively on all the forums I visit, it produces far better results in almost every case! It saves a lot of time, knowing your Google-Fu.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I guess I don't see what's so funny. The search engine on this site sucks. This is a helpful way of getting around it.

UM because we all know GOOGLE exists....

The search engine on this site used to be a good one before the changes and crash...IIRC I actually used it quite a bit...it's just got to recatalogue all the data as searches are made I guess...rofl

dgr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
UM because we all know GOOGLE exists....

The search engine on this site used to be a good one before the changes and crash...IIRC I actually used it quite a bit...it's just got to recatalogue all the data as searches are made I guess...rofl
Perhaps the mechanics of the search was lost on you? The site:sitename search will ONLY pull results from the site you input. If you already use that, great. If not, those like you with black belt google-fu should share your knowledge with those who don't.

It has nothing to do with a re-indexing of data. The software is designed to prevent searches without what the programmers considered enough characters. There are too many acronyms on this site. Want to search for CDR, WVO, WMO, RDT, IP, IC. Oil? Well you're just out of luck.

And here I thought this place was for sharing information?

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Perhaps the mechanics of the search was lost on you? The site:sitename search will ONLY pull results from the site you input. If you already use that, great. If not, those like you with black belt google-fu should share your knowledge with those who don't.

It has nothing to do with a re-indexing of data. The software is designed to prevent searches without what the programmers considered enough characters. There are too many acronyms on this site. Want to search for CDR, WVO, WMO, RDT, IP, IC. Oil? Well you're just out of luck.

And here I thought this place was for sharing information?

LOL...It is a place to share info...I just found the post funny is all...and our search function does have to re cataloge data...BTW...have a good one!