How to wake up a 7.3 from a 10 year slumber

siegler

Reaction score
Pull all the glowplugs out. Squirt trans fluid into the holes. Not pour, But squirt with an oil can. The idea is some will splash off the piston top and onto the cylinder walls.
If oil gets squirted into the glow plug hole, wouldn't that hit the pre chamber instead of the piston top?

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
U bet...no hitty piston top n spraying everywhere..just run outta the hole...and down the crown of piston to the lowest point....kinda like most fluids...

Wonders never cease eh boys??:dunno

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A decade is a long time. You are rolling the dice with the IP and injectors. We've had pumps come in that were full of rust, but still rebuildable, and thought "good thing they didn't try to start this". My RECOMMENDATION is that you just put a new fuel system on it from the get go. You still have good cores. Spin it and snap the IP shaft due to sized plungers, or rusted injector tips and now your out an IP core. IF it were to start and run, you will probably have leaks and end up getting new stuff anyway. Of course, there is a chance none of this would be true. Are you feeling lucky?

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Head gasket may be blown, engine may be wore out, you never know. I say go for it and try to crank it.

sweet66monza

Reaction score
Well, I changed oil+filter, new fuel filter, and turned it over two turns by hand. All was well so I cranked it over until it built fuel and oil pressure. One small quick shot of ether in the intake and it fired. Ran on 6 cylinders for about 30 sec, the rest picked up and lifter noise quieted down after a minute or so. Throttle response was great and it was quiet and no unusual smoke after initial startup. I say shes a keeper!

Rust really isn't a problem in this area. Hell, the frame, springs, chassis etc would probably clean up and look damn near new with a good pressure washing! Everything underneath is still dark colored and no rust pitting whatsoever