How to tell if oil pump is still good?

SPR1NK

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm sure I've read this somewhere on here before, but I can't seem to find it now, but is there a way to tell if the oil pump that was originally in the engine I'm rebuilding is good? I never saw this engine run before tearing it down so I don't know if it had good pressure then or not

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
If this engine got some water in the oil you probably will need a replacement oil pump. Just pull the cover and have a look see what the condition is. Generally speaking these oem pumps do not wear out... But the rear oil cooler header has a regulating valve with a spring in it that wears out causing low oil pressure.

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
tear it apart and make sure the pump gears are tight on the shafts, if they slip on the shaft, it's no good
Never seen this happen on an idi oem pump.

On that note, if I ever take my pan off im putting the IH pump back in, the new aftermarket one is a POS.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score

On that note, if I ever take my pan off im putting the IH pump back in, the new aftermarket one is a POS.
And there you have it.. This quote shows how well the oem pumps are compared to what we now HAVE to purchase if we feel our original pumps fail. You seem to "want" a new pump for some reason. Nobody on this forum can see nor "feel" what you do. Its difficult to diagnose over the computer.

SPR1NK

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Don't know if it ever had water in it, but I looked it over and it seems to be fine so I put it back in the engine, thank you guys for the help

jwalterus

Made in America
Reaction score

IIRC, that was pretty much the consensus of the entire forum when mine failed and I did the swap in frame..... :rotflmao