How to remove passenger rear glow pluf

TangTonic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is there a special tool or technique i can use to remove the glow plug on the passenger side all the way to the rear? I never replaced that one back when I changed them all and now it is bad. I guess I could remove the injector next to it but if there is an easier way I would rather not mess with the injector.

Can30Diesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I used the same socket, extender and ratchet for all the glow plugs.

I don't recall doing anything special for any of them other than adjusting to circumstance.

What troubles are you having?

kc0stp

30 Hour Famine
Reaction score
wobbly + long extension snaked between the turbo and engine (might need a custom shorter socket)

rhkcommander

Full Access Member
Reaction score
1/4" wobble extensions at harbor freight, 8$ or so.

Or get a really low profile ratchet, hf has one screw driver style but you can get a nut driver adapter.

Its not too bad, especially if you climb onto the engine. Can be a royal PITA if you let it.

Also you can find flexible extensions sometimes,
That would work great too

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
All the above ideas have been working for many owners with the factory turbo engines. What works best after the plug is loose is use a piece of rubber hose that fits tight to the plug. Its an easy way to unscrew and screw in the plugs. Its kinda like a long piece of flexable extension of your hand.

TangTonic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well I got the outside part unscrewed but the tip is stuck in there (motorcraft). There is about 1.5" sticking up to grab with something. I can wedge my fingers in and it feels to be stuck pretty good. I just read a few threads about this and have come to the realization that I am in a bad spot. Can someone tell me how to get it to TDC?

Its the back passenger one so its hard to get at the stuck tip with needlenose pliers. I will pick up a long nose pair tomorrow but not too optimistic about that working. I guess i will have to start taking stuff off to get at it.

I sprayed some liquid wrench penetrating oil and will let it sit overnight.

Man what a nightmare this simple job has become.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Its risky but some owners fire up the engine attempting to blow the plug out. If you try this be very careful because the air pressure force blowing that plug out is going to be over 500 lbs. That plug will be moving as fast as a 22 caliber bullet so have something covering the hole like wood or rags to buffer the force. If you could find a chemical in any auto parts store that disolves carbon that might ease the plug removel too. Maybe a carb cleaner...

jonathan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine GPS were wanted to stick to so I played with they carefully until they came out. I also noticed that some of the new ones didn't want to go back in so I got a flat screwdriver and cleaned the carbon out of the holes

madpogue

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here's a trick I heard about - take a needle-nose vise-grip, remove the adjuster bolt. Find a longer generic bolt of the same pitch. Find something heavy (perhaps a socket slipped inside another socket) to slip over the bolt Also use a washer so the weight doesn't slip past the bolt head. Screw it in and lock the jaws onto the protruding core. You've created a vise-grip slide hammer. Slide the weight up agaist the bolt head and it'll act like a slide hammer. Never tried it myself, just heard that it works. IIRC, it's also good to shoot some kind of solvent on it, too dissolve some of the built-up carbon.