How to change just one VERY leaky injector cap Re lifting just one steel hard line

johneich

John, 1983 F250
Reaction score
My front passenger injector cap on my 1983 is leaking real bad, I want to undo the steel line from the injection pump and replace the cap and O-rings. I have a whole kit here from Russ I will take parts from for now.

I replaced the IP and injectors so I know how to do all 8 at once.

I am just worried about stressing the steel line by fully loosening it and lifting it up so I can get at the cap and o rings.

Is there a way this can be done, what to do or not do, any tips appreciated.

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You should not have any trouble just loosening that one injector line at the injector only. Don't need to loosen at the IP. The cap can slip off/on between the line and the injector body.

Warning...... just messing with one will likely get another leaking. Might just want to change them all if they have been there for a bit.

Heath

johneich

John, 1983 F250
Reaction score
Thanks Heath, its a real bad leaker on my now DD, I want to try a quick fix so I can finish out the week and yes do all on the weekend. Been on there for only 4,000 miles a bit over a year.

Last edited:

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
You wont have any trouble with the line. Its got plenty of flex in it. Maybe you could remove the vibration line clamps but please remember to reinstall them. If they are not installed the fuel pulses from the injection pump coursing thru them will cause them to crack. I felt many years ago I knew more than the diesgners and left them off the drivers side. Broke number 2 right at the injecter nut... Can't be fixed. That cost me almost $400.00 at the dealer. I was a newbie and had no confidence in my ability to fix it. I now look back and tell myself that was a costly lesson. Remember the old pulse injecter adapter needs to come off the injecter too. That line can be replaced with a number one injecter line off a van. The van lines are made longer for number one only and shorter on number 4 only. That pulse adapter is on the number 4 cylinder on any van application.

johneich

John, 1983 F250
Reaction score
Thanks Gary, I do not believe I have the pulse adapter on any injector/line, I time the same way with the same equipment as you do Gary.

johneich

John, 1983 F250
Reaction score
Ok... You will know when you try to loosen that hard line nut...

Hmm, You worry me a bit with the ..., I have had this one off and on before, I think I know what you are talking about, it has a big knoberdo on the top and a place to clip to on top, I don't have it, I clamp my timing "clamp" onto the hard line. Sorry, I forgot a bit of what you taught me, I do not time using Lummy so I guess I use pulse. I am going in now, took a while to find Russ's kit (had concrete poured in the man cave, not finished organizing yet) , had dinner, going into the job now, if you don't hear from me in two hours start a search party please! Jonathan lives the closest to me...I think

johneich

John, 1983 F250
Reaction score
Just finished, it was easy, too easy in my book, but its not leaking like a sieve now, its all very wet there right now but I see no leaks from the cap-injector. Thanks Heath and Gary for the help and thanks Russ for selling a quality kit!!!;Sweet, much nicer hose from what I can tell, I used one cap and two o-rings from your kit can you send me one cap, o-rings and a bit of hose to make the kit complete again please??? :)

I can drive daily without spilling a bunch of diesel all over the place now!!!

Last edited: