How to bypass 6.9 water seperator

squeekyM

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I have found that my fuel seperator is leaking, down onto the frame rail etc. I am going to replace this system with the factory 7.3 fuel filter/water seperator. Until then, can someone tell me how to unplug/ bypass the factory 6.9 water seperator mounted on the firewall. Thanks in advance.

- Jerry

hoodshauler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Go to Napa and get the filter they sell for these motors that is all in one canister filter

hoodshauler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yeah they are fitlers that seperate the water , not sure of there name I will call my Napa guy tomarrow and get Part numbers

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
squeekyM said:
Hi Everyone,

I have found that my fuel seperator is leaking, down onto the frame rail etc. I am going to replace this system with the factory 7.3 fuel filter/water seperator. Until then, can someone tell me how to unplug/ bypass the factory 6.9 water seperator mounted on the firewall. Thanks in advance.

- Jerry

Have you tried putting a bolt in the drain tube and clamping it with a hose clamp. To bypass cheaply, you just remove the inlet and outlet line and hook them together with a piece of 3/8 metal line. You can also do as I did and re-route everything and use one piece of hose from the lift pump back to the tank, but that isn't as quick and not quite as cheap either! :)

squeekyM

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the help. From what I can tell, the return line seems to be leaking between the seperator and the metal return line. How common is it that a metal line would have a problem? This has been a california truck its entire life, so I find it hard to believe that it is ruined. I am going replace the rubber return line for now, I am hoping it just aged and started to crack.

BTW, the truck still runs and starts fine.... so it most definately must be the return line leaking or else the truck would die right?

Freight_Train

Traitor to the brotherhood
Reaction score
Just get a 3/8th barb to barb coupler and a pair of small hose clamps.cut or pull the 2 hoses off the water sep and just connect them via the barb thingy.As for the filter......

Napa-FIL 3217 without drain or sensor $42
Napa-FIL 3417 with drain $31
Napa-FIL 3617 with drain and sensor $33

Freight_Train

Traitor to the brotherhood
Reaction score
hee hee hee,I am a bottomless pit of information(mostly useless at that)....and if I don't know something,I am good at finding out on the net in about 30 seconds......Does that make me a Geek?!??

Oh,as for the name of the above item......It is just called a Fuel Filter(with built in water separator).When I got mine for the E(which DUHHHH,I found a brand new one after I got back home.....in the back seat!) I just said gimme a Fuel filter for a 1991 F350 with a 7.3L......they asked with or without drain and sensor....I just said with drain.And they then handed me the filter.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
lookie...

Attachments

• 06-27-06_2143.jpg
    06-27-06_2143.jpg
    20.5 KB · Views: 2
  • 06-27-06_2144.jpg
    06-27-06_2144.jpg
    29.1 KB · Views: 3
  • 06-27-06_2142.jpg
    06-27-06_2142.jpg
    22.6 KB · Views: 5

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There are Baldwin part numbers for those filters in the Parts Bin (tech articles section above this forum), which can easily be crossed by any parts house.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That may depend on the quality of the fuel you run, but if you get a filter that doesn't have a sensor, I would certainly change it twice a year.

M

maxdiesel

Will that napa filter work directly on the 6.9 fuel filter mount or do you need to convert to the 7.3 mount?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726

Members online