how much is too much

jimraelee

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I took off the shell, and emptied out the bed today to get some rock for our dirt road. Headed to the rock quarry, Pulled in and had the guy fill up the bed... WoW was I surprised at how much he could fill with my 8ft bed... its a 91 F350 SRW. What is the most weight I should see at the scale... total vehicle weight. I have seen on the road side truck scales 6300lbs empty with me in it to give you a baseline. I know there is payload... also pulling or towing weight. This would be payload, because its in the bed.

k_williams1982

'01 Excursion 4x4
Reaction score
I have a '85 F350 CC 4x4 with load range "D" 35" tires on it and I've hauled approx. 2,900# in the bed alone. Total weight on that run was 10,100# and I pulled the grades between 60-65mph without a problem. I believe that the trucks are "rated" to pull 10,000#, but I know that they will do more than that. I pulled a semi tractor and trailer (79,800#) in 4 low about 25 mph down the bypass here in Bend with my '88 F250 extended cab 4x4 with 35" tires and a NA 6.9 engine.

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have no idea what a load of gravel will weigh, but it should not be anywhere close to overloading an F350. You should be just fine.

Heath

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Technically, your only supposed to put 1 ton in there, but we all know better. LOL

Frankly, it amazes me what these things will haul, but I certainly wouldn't bottom out the suspension. Those poor wheel bearings. :rolleyes:

Mont91

Full Access Member
Reaction score
depending on the mix you could be maxed out on weight. By rock do you mean washed 1 inch or do you mean right out of the crusher fines and all? finishing grade gravel is very heavy per cubic yard. Imagine a concrete block the size of your pickup bed, wet finishing gravel would be close.

Andylad13

DieselBoy
Reaction score
I've had 5,920 LBS in my bed and my truck with the E4OD did not like it much. I was very glad i only had to drive about 4 miles home from the gravel pit.

dyoung14

Is getting worn out
Reaction score
i havent ever really had anything heavy in the bed in my truck, but me and my dad once hauled a 1 ton chevy 4x4 off it weighed close to 6000 pounds and the trailer weighs 2500 pounds and whatever my truck weighs:dunno it didnt like doing that to much but it did it, never tried to get over 40 was afraid to:D

jimraelee

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well after reading your replys, I should have given a little more info. Sorry I was heading to bed after working all night and then a trip to the Gravel pit.Stupid or not, I know the truck has dry weight of 6300lbs, and when I filled up the bed, the loader guy stopped and asked how much more. I told him to add more. He shook his head and filled it up little more. Andy seems to have been as close to what I did today. I pulled on the scale there and almost called the lady a lier when she said I was 13,300lbs. I was shocked. this was "dirty 3/4 minus" gravel. Peak of the pile at the top of the cab. Not filling the bed completely though. As Mel said we are suppose to handle a ton... 2000lbs. As the lady said, "your tires are squatting, you've got a good truck." My guague was the fact that I wasn't squatting real bad in the bed, We have that extra helper single spring on the top of the stack, and I was making contact, but didn't seem to be over stressed. Oh well. My baby did good, axle tube and rear breaks didn't seem hot at all when I laid hands on it, so I don't think there was any overheating at the axle ends. Oh yea andy I too was 30 mph on the way home tops. And I was also using my gauges as my guide... trans temp never above 180 and engine temp was also just a little above its normal mark... Yea I was kind of worried.

Eason

Full Access Member
Reaction score
weight on a truck

I have a 83 f-250 6.9 with T-19 and 3.55 gears. I pull a 25 ft PJ 14 k trailer which I suspect the empty weight of the truck and trailer are arround 11,000 lbs. I hauled a 856 farmall with a 5 bottom plow for 20 miles. The tractor and plow weighs 13000 lbs. I wish I had 4.11 gears that time but the truck handled it fine. I'm all on the flatlands luckily though. Eason

93turbo_animal

Reaction score
not bad thats about what I haul out of the quarry except my trucks a couple thousand pounds heavier so I leave most of the time 15,800 but I usually run the speed limit

02AutoWag

Reaction score
I've had 5,920 LBS in my bed and my truck with the E4OD did not like it much. I was very glad i only had to drive about 4 miles home from the gravel pit.

I know the truck has dry weight of 6300lbs... I pulled on the scale there and almost called the lady a lier when she said I was 13,300lbs

:eek::eek::eek: 6K and roughly 7K:eek::eek::eek:
I'm sure the 3K load in the bed of my F250 was not the limit...but at twice my best, even my F350 2wd SRW 3.55 E4OD would probably balk. :eek::eek:

Last edited:

Andylad13

DieselBoy
Reaction score
The duallys hold the weight very well, my suspension only sank about 2-2.5 inches. I didnt tell the loader to stop, i just drove away when the bucket was empty!!!

jimraelee

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well seeing how some of you have matched my load, I feel a bit better. Its amazing to me... the 350 means 2000lb capacity. and yet it held much more. I wonder what they really design the axles to hold??? If you divide my 13000 by 2 axles, that is 3 tons on just the rear axle. However, I don't think the weight was distributed evenly... Its hard to add weight to the front axle when its sitting on top of the rear.

redneckaggie

rebel w/o a cause
Reaction score
Just as was said in the other thread your tires are your limiting factor I have had a 580 case and a d4(i think, between it and the backhoe they filled up the 32 ft trailer) dozer sitting on the truck and moved it from one spot to another at the shop. the truck was sitting down real good but all was good.