How Many Miles?

85ford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So as some of you might know my rig was t-boned last feb. And now I'm looking for a new one again. I found an '85 that is everything I want but, it's got 265,*** on it. What are some things I should look for on a rig with this many miles? I know about going to look at it when its dead cold and seeing how it starts. And beleive it or not its at a dealer. (some one must have traded it in) But for 2500 I've got to at least check it out. Thanks --Mike

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
Mileage doesn't scare me because more than likely things have been replaced and what I find more often than not is that someone did replace quite a few items and recently but they hit a line in the sand and said NO MORE because one small item broke (you know the ole nickle and dime thing).... So I would just look at it just like I would any other truck. Does it pull? Does the brake pedel feel firm and high? How are the tires? Does it show signs of major oil leaks? Are the bottom of the doors and sill still in tact (not rusted out)? How does the body in general look? Does the radio work? Just your normal stuff. I would also look at the coolant and see if you see any signs of oil in the cooling system which it being 6.9 I wouldn't be too concern with cavitation more than likely if it does show signs of oil in the cooling system then it's an oil cooler issue - which is an afternoon of messy work and $100 in parts and materials in the driveway so not a big issue. I would say if it runs out decent and the body is in generally good shape it's worth it. But you boys in kali have a different take on a trucks body condition than us here in the midwest where we through salt down like there is no tomorrow.... What we call good you boys call rusted out beaters....

65sixbanger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ya people are always scared of mileage, but to be honest, it doesnt take much skill to fix any problems you might come across. If its at the right price i wouldnt hesitate.

HammerDown

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My truck has 197,000 original miles and I put ALL of them on it >>> so I know what (I) have. :sly
Personally, it would be difficult for me to purchase any vehicle with more than 50,000 on the clock, Diesel or not.
It's not about whether or not I can fix it...I really don't want to be wrenching on some else's junk all the time.;Really

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Mostly you need to find out is this rig still has the 6.9 or did someone replace it with a 7.3. The block serial number can tell you that or take a 7/16 and a 1/2 inch 12 point socket with you. The smaller socket fits only the 6.9 head bolta and the larger 1/2 inch socket fits only the 7.3. Also the serial numbers on the top of the block will have either 6.9 or 7.3 as part of the numbers in it. Its easy to find but cleaning it may be tuff. Look just to the drivers side of the injection pump gear cover. Then clean off that area.

redneckaggie

rebel w/o a cause
Reaction score
mileage does not scare me as long as the owner has maintained the truck. Now verifying that maintenence could be difficult if the owner does not have reciepts for this maintenence. If that is the case then i just get a cold start, drive the truck and see how it feels, then get a warm start after driving it. check coolant, oil and overall driving and cosmetic quality. I also sometimes check rear end, transmission or other common unattended areas on the truck because that should show just how **** the owner was about the truck.

I have seen it go both directions(low mileage truck with horrible problems or vice versa) and if it makes you feel any better I know a guy running one of these trucks with no major problems when he bought it @ 250,00 and still running it @ about 400,000( same engine from factory but he is starting to consider replacing it) but this guy is absolutely the most particular person about his truck that i have met. Thats not saying that it doesnt get worked but it doesn't get abused

Last edited:

gatorman21218

Reaction score
I bought mine with 34,000 on the clock. It had tripped twice though. Yeah I expect things to wear out at inopportune times, but its not like you have to be a rocket surgeon to work on these things.

HankHill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well I'll give my input, I have had to do more work to this truck than when I had my 04 6.0 stroke.. my stroke had 120k when I sold it, also I aquired this truck with 70k and have put on about 5k miles granted its twice as old as my stroke was but sometimes I get tired finding something new broken every week, and this truck doesnt even pull that much lol

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If I were you I'd try and check real good to see if the head gaskets were leaking. The leaks were usually external runnning down the edges of the block but could become a serious problem after awhile. Mine was tight when I purchased it and blew gaskets after <5000 miles in my hands. Replaced them and haven't had to do much else in the way of major engine repairs. I have had to replace fuel system components, glowplugs and an automatic transmission, but I rush to say that the auto tranny and some of the fuel system problems were a direct result of my newbie mistkes. I'd also take the oil filler cap off and see if it was huffing a lot of blowby through the filler neck. As you know from you previous IDI some blowby is normal especially at higher mileage, but blowing 3' in the air or puffing to the tune of 1 or more cylinders is not good. Also you can get a better idea how bad it really is by revving the motor above idle. The blowby should significantly diminish when you do this. If it does I'd worry less about it, but still check that it could be significant. Lastly the 83-86 glow plug system was often troublesome for failing in the on position and frying glow plugs. This isn't particularly a serious problem to fix as long as the old plugs come out in one piece which they probably will if they were beru or another decent glow plug(not autolite or champ) be aware that if they don't you may be faced with the choice of pulling the head to retrieve a tip or risking engine damage or trying some odd operation to suck the tip out through an injector hole if this truck has this problem. Fix it once by running a momentary toggle to 12V glow plugs or upgrading to the factory 87 and later system and you can put this worry out of your mind. 2500 sounds kinda high but then I haven't seen it. I paid 2500 for my 86 X-cab with an auto and no turbo back in 2003 and it had 153,000 on the clock, and the guy was very nice and also diesel knowledgeable. If it's in great shape and what you want it still might be worth that or maybe you can talk the dealer down some. I bet he gave the PO next to nothing for this rig and can't have a lot in it.

85ford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So basically just check the normal IDI stuff. I'm just really hesitant because the last one I had I got from my Grand dad and he bought it brand new, so I had all the maintenece records on the truck. I just really want another one. And this one is more so what I want then the one I had, but couldn't beat the price on the last one. (Free) Well I think I'll go look at her tomorrow and I'll let you guys know whats up and if theres any questions. Thanks --Mike

oldmisterbill

Grumpy Old Man
Reaction score
If it is rust free & in good overall condition I don't worry about mileage either.I think I have around 500,000 on mine. Thats judging that it had over 200,000 when I bought it with a bad motor. Filthy greasy mess with a fresh used transmission it it.Plus it had been a hotshot truck prior to my owning it. Right now if I did a thorough once over (checked return lines,lube,lights,etc) I wouldn't be afraid to head of on a trip with it. Yes it does need attention now.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've given this particular situation a lot of thought, and while I would never want to have to live it, if something happened to the Moose Truck, I would have to start all over, and I mean ALL over. I'd be looking for a truck with a great body, and healthy frame, then I would do a frame off resto on it. If you were to completely go over the whole rig, and preventatively replace every wear item, then you would essentially end up with a new truck for the fraction of the price of an old one. I would also upgrade the axles to Superduty ones, so I would have access to brake pads and rotors for many years to come. I'd get a fresh motor. I'd use the exising trans and gears, since those last forever more or less, unless they were really high mileage (say 300K) I'd replace every piece of rubber, every cable, and all the wiring in so much as practicle. If you did this, for lets say 10K, you should be able to take a $2000-$3000 truck, and make it into a $15,000 truck that runs just as well, and is just as reliable, but far cheaper to maintain, then a $50-$60,000 new one. The problem of course, is you'd need a home equity loan, because no bank is going to give you the money to do that with a vehicle. So if your not a home owner, this may not be an option for you.

HammerDown

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've given this particular situation a lot of thought, and while I would never want to have to live it, if something happened to the Moose Truck, I would have to start all over, and I mean ALL over. I'd be looking for a truck with a great body, and healthy frame, then I would do a frame off resto on it. If you were to completely go over the whole rig, and preventatively replace every wear item, then you would essentially end up with a new truck for the fraction of the price of an old one. I would also upgrade the axles to Superduty ones, so I would have access to brake pads and rotors for many years to come. I'd get a fresh motor. I'd use the exising trans and gears, since those last forever more or less, unless they were really high mileage (say 300K) I'd replace every piece of rubber, every cable, and all the wiring in so much as practicle. If you did this, for lets say 10K, you should be able to take a $2000-$3000 truck, and make it into a $15,000 truck that runs just as well, and is just as reliable, but far cheaper to maintain, then a $50-$60,000 new one. The problem of course, is you'd need a home equity loan, because no bank is going to give you the money to do that with a vehicle. So if your not a home owner, this may not be an option for you.

Sounds nice Mel but > who has the space, equipment and especially time for all that, not to forget it's being a slave to labor for sure.:hail
The ONLY way I would want my truck all over again is if it was NEW...as in ******.
However, that ain't ever going to happen for me and after 23 years of ownership I'm totally burned out with driving the same truck all the time > sometimes new is good and I'm more than ready > and it won't be another diesel, that's for sure.

gatorman21218

Reaction score
:dunno:confused::confused:

I hope that was a typo. For me, I wouldn't ever buy a non-diesel. Doing good so far too, every car or truck I've ever bought is a diesel :D

X2 Except I promised myself I wouldnt ever buy a foreign car or a dodge. So I guess im limited to ford diesels and or anything powered by a detroit diesel. cookoo