how many bottles? VC8

PnrFab

Reaction score
how many bottles? VC8 **updated with pics**

can not find the fleetgaurd test strips local, and i went to order some and they are on back order. so off hand how many bottles of VC8 (16oz) from ford should i add into my system, i just did a complete flush and drained the block also. bought just normal plain jane prestone green coolant, but not sure how many bottles to add for the sca.

-josh

Last edited:

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
typically it's two bottles of DCA for the fresh flush.

You really should have used a low silicate coolant because it's a diesel but it's already in there so just treat it and rattle on down the road.

Compu Doc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would change it out and put the right coolant in. You could get the low silicate stuff thats already treated. Fleetguard makes it.

Also you need to use distilled water which you can get at any grocery store. Tap water and well water has to many minerals in it.

Last edited:

PnrFab

Reaction score
well i haven't poured anything in yet...is this the stuff i need

You must be registered for see images

Cummins Filtration offers a full line of heavy-duty coolant products that provide a clear advantage over competitive antifreeze products by preventing liner pitting, corrosion and scale that can damage your heavy-duty cooling system. ES Compleat Extended Life antifreeze/coolants are fully-formulated and contain organic acids that provide superior diesel engine protection. Cummins Filtration's Universal EG and PG low silicate antifreeze/coolants can be mixed with good quality water and supplemental coolant additives (SCAs) that offer basic in cooling

called local cat dealership and they have this in premix (10.27 a gal) he said so i would need 8 gallons?

-josh

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
That is a OAT Coolant that is pre-treated with additive. Now there are two schools of thought/debate on if extended life coolants are compatible with the seals used in the older diesels. Now I know from talking with GEO and such that he did not have problems with leakage caused from the OAT coolant eating seals. I never ran it in my diesels but that was just because I wanted to change the coolant and plus I was always pulling apart something I broke so often that it really didn't get to stay in there very often...

But in short... YEP that's the stuff... Just pour it in and enjoy. I read the spec sheet on it and it appears to be pre-diluted so no water will be needed.

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
8 gallons does sound right... It's been a while since I have been under the hood of an IDI but it does sound correct.

PnrFab

Reaction score
ok i think i bought the right stuff, here are some pics to be 100%

test strips

coolant front

coolant back

dca4

ericboutin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
exactly the stuff...one of these days as Goat Boy used to say I'll be bottle fed and won't have to fool with checking and re-filling.

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
Yeah I figured that since he already bought and purchased and the bottled DCA that I wouldn't mention the coolant filter just yet. Since it's cold out - playing in water and hoses outside in the winter is not quite something everyone wants to do.