homemade bypass filter

emmer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think I'll make a homemade bypass oil filter, since I can't afford the one Amsoil makes.

I'm planning on t-ing off from the oil sender and going into a (2 micron) filter and then back into the filler spout.

what do ya'll think? thumbs up;Sweet or down:puke:

thx for any comments.

Last edited:

87crewdually

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Honestly a FL1995 oil filter is plenty of filtration for me. It has a lower micron rating than a stock filter and gives you another quart of oil capacity(11qts.).

emmer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, but it's still (barely) a 20 micron filter.

@ 20 microns, it's only 68% efficient. That's still a pile of crud circulating thru the system.

That said, the extra quart of oil is good ;Sweet

seawalkersee

It needs a turbo...
Reaction score
Put a magnet on it and see what you have. I bet you suck more out of the system than you think.

SWS

87crewdually

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just had the engine out and apart and the thing was surprisingly spotless inside (except the blown apart head gasket). Quality oils and regular checks/changes and all is good.
I would maybe look into it more for longer change intervals if i was racking up the miles on long hauls but I'm not looking to get 800,000 miles out of it before tear down. I think the cab/body will wither away long before milage like that is ever met.
This is my opinion in MY situation so by all means go for it and i hope it works out.

Last edited:

emmer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good question CDX... I'll have to do some investigating.

I'm wondering if (when) I t-off from the oil pressure line, if that would screw my oil pressure reading (machanical):dunno

pybyr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good question CDX... I'll have to do some investigating.

I'm wondering if (when) I t-off from the oil pressure line, if that would screw my oil pressure reading (machanical):dunno

If you do a true bypass filter, then you'll aim for limited flow, which will lead to limited pressure drop from the main system. Bypass filters, by design, do not aim to clean everything in one pass-- they do it by nature of the fact that the oil gradually goes through a very fine filter as the engine runs. My Ford/Navistar OEM shop manual for the 7.3 depicts a specific port, on the oil filter boss, intended for a bypass filter-- so I have to think that a proper bypass filter will not be a problem-- I am hoping to put one on my truck.

pybyr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
where is the specific port? I have a 7.3 idi

According to the "'88-93 7.3 Engine Service Manual" reprint that I have, there's a 1/2 inch hex head plug in the bottom front of the same casting that holds the oil filter, and that is specifically noted as a take-off point for oil for a bypass filter. One of the other diagrams shows an oil return somewhere on the rear of the block, but I am not recalling exactly where. Depending on what type of bypass you run, you can probably feed the return back into the oil fill cap or someplace in a valve cover.

CDX825

filtration nut
Reaction score
I have heard of guys using 2 micron hydraulic filters before. Anything lower than 5 microns should work good.

Just make sure if you do decide to make your own filter to use something to restrict the flow to it.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you convert to an electric fuel pump, the block-off plate makes an excellent place to mount a return line.

04_6.0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ive been looking for parts to do this on my own because i too believe what they want is too high. Ive looked for months for a 1-2 micro filter; that is truly a bypass filter and the only one i have found is the Amsoil one. Its 35 bucks and as long as you do not mind chasing down the various fittings it a pretty easy job. i have about 100 bucks in the one on my 6.0 liter and it works great. The filter comes with 1"-16 threads. So finding a base made from wix or donaldson or anyone else is tricky or atleast i havent been able to find one except from amsoil. There use to be a donaldson filter that was a good one but it is no longer made anymore i got all the info written down but im 1,500 miles away from home. Hope this helps.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Members online