holset hx-40 for 6.2l

turbonator

gm diesel guys, AKA turbonator
Reaction score
i am wondering if i can use a hx-40 turbo for a 6.2l will this turbo spool quickly on a 6.2? i know that 6.2l is only 8-10 psi boost, and pyro below 1150, any help is appriecaited thanks in advance:dunno

turbonator

Reaction score
holset

Finally we picked up a VGT He351ve from a 6.7 cummins. Seen a guy on another site that is doing a stand alone controller for it, but figure we'll just chuck the electronics and have wastegate controlled variable geometry turbo. (sure nice to be young and dumb...) But we're gonna do it.:D:sly;Really:eek::eek::eek:

kas83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Every turbo listed so far is way out of it's MAP when only run to 10 psi. Not very efficient, but they will work, one way or another.

Mr.Diesel

Reaction score
You will never spool an HX-40 on a 6.2...IF you must try it, try to find one with the 16cm housing it's the smallest they came with IIRC...you would be better off with an HX35 or even better an H1C from a 1st gen cummins...If your H-bent on the 40 I got one out on the shelf I'd sell :)

turbonator

Reaction score
6.2l turbo diesel

we have scrapped plans to utilize an hx-40 on our 6.2l we bought a he-351 vgt holset instead, we are going to pull of the electronic wastegate controller a fab up something using vacumm and or a style like a turbo-master, (any input on wastegate apprieciated) we have all our gasketa, arp headstuds,fuel pump hummer headers, looking into h.o. waterpump also. does anybody know where we can find new pistons, and also a stud girdle? we are also doing a splash water-**** injection also.:sly;Really:eek::eek:

turbonator

Reaction score
project pugg

hey there blackdawg, we are building this motor for a 1983 gmc c-5000 2ton dump truck with a 11 foot dump box and an sm-465 tranny. currently the truck runs a 350 gasser.;Really:puke:

Alex S

Jeoff
Reaction score
You will never spool an HX-40 on a 6.2...IF you must try it, try to find one with the 16cm housing it's the smallest they came with IIRC...you would be better off with an HX35 or even better an H1C from a 1st gen cummins...If your H-bent on the 40 I got one out on the shelf I'd sell :)

eh the H1C is prety big and slow to, i put one on my propane powered 345 in my scout and it take a week to spool up to 15 lbs ,

kas83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
eh the H1C is prety big and slow to, i put one on my propane powered 345 in my scout and it take a week to spool up to 15 lbs ,

Does it have the 18.5 cm housing, or the 21? Throw a 14cm or 16 cm non-gated housing, or a 12 cm gated off a WH1C or HX35 on there and have fun. H1's aren't bad, they're smaller chargers, just have huge turbine housings. Also, the early HX40 is an H1E, if anyone is looking for an upgrade.

turbonator

Reaction score
Every turbo listed so far is way out of it's MAP when only run to 10 psi. Not very efficient, but they will work, one way or another.

we finally recieved our first 351 vgt holset, we tore it down to inspect it and we think that it is a non waste gate, we did some checking on another site and it seems like this turbo has a built in exhaust brake, one of our friends has a 99 powerstroke and it looks like the holset is smaller than the garrett on the psd also the holset is set up to be liquid-cooled. were going to do a by-pass with the two blocked water ports on the back of the 6.2 and dump into the heater-core line. :thumbsup: should circulate water better for the 8 and 7 pistons.:D

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Members online