holley red question

chinsmackers

Reaction score
a holley red should pump at 7psi with no load. that much pressure should squirt a few feet away from the pump, correct? i have the pump out and i'm trying to see if it has enough pressure, but it only flows about 6" away from the pump when i power it. that doesn't seem like enough pressure to run the truck. any ideas or input?

thanks,
ken

riphip

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Keeps 7psi constant. Not much pressure at all. Narrow the exit side and it will squirt further.

Rick

chinsmackers

Reaction score
also, it doesn't have enough pressure to push fuel up the height of the truck, just kind of "oozes" out of the tube

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not good. I have a holley red on the Moose Tail, and as I have demonstrated at the IDI Weekends that the Moose Tail has attended, the holley red will shoot a stream of diesel like a fire hose out of a 1/4" line. I'd say 6' from waist height would be about right. Sounds like something is impeding the flow. Presure and volume are different animals. At low presure, volume will be quite high.

chinsmackers

Reaction score
well, i took the pum out of the truck, ran a 3/8" hose from a jug of diesel to the pump... and i get a stream about 6" long. this is a new pump, actually the second new pump in two weeks... is there an adjustment inside the pump that i can check?

i already made sure the internal screen was clear and nothing was lodged inside the pump.

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
Keep in mind that the internal diameter of a 3/8 inch hose versus a 1/4 inch hose is just about double! Put a pressure gauge in it and see what you get.

Probably a better suggestion is would be to post why you removed it. I am assuming there is a problem and that you removed it for that reason, not just to see how far it would squirt! :) I think if it isn't moving more fuel than that though, that you might have found a problem, but the "why?" has me wondering. There are a bunch of people on here using them without that kind of problem. I wonder if there is a fuel restriction on your truck that is causing it to overheat and burn up internally. Do you have a filter pre-pump on the truck?

Good luck with it. I can tell you from a past parts seller point of view, your supplier is going to stop replacing them if you don't figure out why they are failing.

chinsmackers

Reaction score
i had it in the vehicle and got mostly foam from the filter... truck wouldn't run on that. i took it out to see if the foam was caused by air entering the lines or the pump was the problem. aparently, it was both (judging by what i see thus far). i do not have a pressure gauge so i was going by what i can see. 7 psi should do more than "ooze" from the lines and there are no obstructions in the pump or the lines.

i am truly stumped. the pump is new and being the second one, i doubt it will be warrantee'd as the first one (less than 2 weeks ago) so i'm just going back to the origional lift pump.

thanks for the help, lemme know if anyone has idea's.

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
i had it in the vehicle and got mostly foam from the filter... truck wouldn't run on that. i took it out to see if the foam was caused by air entering the lines or the pump was the problem. aparently, it was both (judging by what i see thus far). i do not have a pressure gauge so i was going by what i can see. 7 psi should do more than "ooze" from the lines and there are no obstructions in the pump or the lines.

i am truly stumped. the pump is new and being the second one, i doubt it will be warrantee'd as the first one (less than 2 weeks ago) so i'm just going back to the origional lift pump.

thanks for the help, lemme know if anyone has idea's.

I agree it should do more than ooze, but out of a 3/8" hose it prolly won't shoot fuel 6 feet either. The density of the fuel would affect it as well, harder to pump a thicker fuel. That being said, I am not doubting you have a problem, just wondering why YOU are having it cause we know the pump works for this application. Can you draw fuel from the supply line that went into the pump? If so, does it seem restricted?

chinsmackers

Reaction score
i can draw fuel from the line, the line is new. i'm wondering if i overworked the pump due to other line issues such as cracks and leaks. i'm going to go through it all this weekend and put in new lines... does the truck need 1/4" lines or larger?

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
Fuel feed line (to engine from tanks) is 3/8 inch return line is 5/16 inch.

Good luck, sounds like you have had your share of the bad!!! :rotflmao

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Something is not right. I have a holly red (like Mel), and have had no issues with it. I have a fuel pressure gauge in the cab and I see 5-6 psi at the fuel filter head. It will shoot fuel over the motor and on the driver's fender when the pump is running and I open the schraider valve on the filter head.

As far as pressure and diameter. Changing the diameter of the hose with change the pressure by 4 fold. Pressure and volume are two different animals.

Heath

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
As far as pressure and diameter. Changing the diameter of the hose with change the pressure by 4 fold. Pressure and volume are two different animals.

Heath

I think we are agreeing here! :) A 3/8 inch hose (which should be the supply size) will have a different pressure than a 1/4 inch hose with the same pump attached. Yes they are different animals, but one directly affects the other to a certain extent - if you were to put a 2 inch hose and a 2 1/2 inch hose on there, you would likely not see much difference! :D

If that weren't the case, going to a 4 inch exhaust wouldn't reduce the backpressure on our trucks, only allow more air to flow.