Holding heads, unlimited boost

Status
Not open for further replies.

timothyr1014

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think another thing that really gets missed in threads like this is the "true cost of ownership" factor....honestly, when I decided I needed a diesel it was Dave S that sold me on the IDI....
My thinking was along the lines of I need reliable and cheap...not just the initial buy in, but also the repairs.
I have built my fair share of track cars, and know what it takes to make some neck snapping power, but at the end of the day what I was really building were toys....yes a few were street legal, and I got to drive them to work, but they were far from daily drivers. Dont get me wrong, I do believe there are exceptions to this, but by far and large majority of the pick-up trucks out there these days make more power than they can reliabily use on a routine and everyday basis with just normal maintenance....they are toys...the example would be the 800hp powerstroke or duramax....looks good pulling a sled down the lane, but would not be the truck I would want for pulling an 18k 5'er cross country....although slow, my n/a idi has done it twice now, and thats with 400k on the clock.
I think a big part of this community that I appreciate is that most of the guys here own "work" trucks...whether that is getting the to and from school/work, or spending a decent amount of time loaded to capacity...and while we can all appreciate that big power is "fun", when it comes to our trucks the fun can be set aside and we can get down to business.

I guess coming from the OTR world there is a side of me that just dismisses all the "big power" claims, and looks for the solution that will haul whatever I need down the road, everyday, without complaint, and when it does have an issue it won't break the bank

Goofyexponent

Mentally Unstable..
Reaction score
I tell you guys what....since money appears to be the limiting factor in the IDI, if I EVER win a million plus in a lottery....I PROMISE you all that I will sink $10 g's into an IDI motor, and we shall see what I get out of it.

I can't see anyone wanting to spend $10G on a 20 year old Ford, no matter how good a shape it's in, but I promise to if I ever win any money!

And since I'll be a millionaire....I will be SURE to test it to the limits of it's ability....Dyoung, wanna drive my truck for a year when she's done??

Just kidding buddy!! No harm meant!

FordGuy100

Reaction score
Interesting thread. I have no doubt an IDI can make power. But the majority of IDI'ers are driving them because of the cost. I couldn't justify a grand for fancy head gaskets. Maybe one day. There are some serious loyalists. I know I'm never getting rid of
my truck. So when I got a good solid career going for me, I can build something up. In the meantime I can't do to much on my rig besides maintainance.

I applaud your investagative work figuring out parts for us. That's greatly appreciated and opens some new doors. ;Sweet

timothyr1014

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yeah well calvin, out there in cali I am supprised the smog nazis dont have you by the nuts for just dreaming about it

Status
Not open for further replies.