High Idle Stays On At Operating Temp.

rsaltaresjr

Reaction score
1994 7.3 IDI Factory turbo automatic transmission 2wd. The high idle solenoid is getting voltage continuously even at full operating temperature. I have to unplug it to get it to retract. I haven’t had a chance to trouble shoot it. Any of you fellas had this happen before? I’m guessing there is a thermo sensor/switch somewhere on the block that may be shorted to ground. Any ideas?

homelessduck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The sensor that controls it is directly behind the thermostat housing . Stubby little 2 prong sensor. It also controls the cold advance..

rsaltaresjr

Reaction score
Ok, I vaguely remember that when I replaced the thermostat a few years back. Thanks a lot. Any one have opinions on what brand to replace with? Should I stick to motocraft/international stock or will any parts store brand will do?

homelessduck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It isn't a critical part so I am sure any brand would be fine. Of course Motorcraft/International is always best. You could also run it to a toggle instead so you would have manual control of it, which is what I'm about to do.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
For the price, I'd go toggle switch. Lol
For these sensors, it's likely even the motorcraft brand has been sold out. Probably not much difference in quality.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

rsaltaresjr

Reaction score
I’m really liking the toggle idea. Just like the old big rigs had. I knew y’all would come through for me. Thank you kindly.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
So far everything posted bout this is true. No parts store will have this sender. I tried nappa and all the others. Finally went to a pick n pull wrecking yard and got 3 of them... They are very expensive thru international or ford dealers too. you can simply unplug this sender and not have cold fast idle or cold advance.Your engine will still run fine. A note about the fast idle solenoid. Sadly they are not strong enough to open the throttle so we have to press down on the throttle peddle so they advance the idle on startups.

rsaltaresjr

Reaction score
Found the hot wire insulation melted a couple inches obove the sender. It was grounding against the thermostat housing which I’m sure is what melted it. Cleaned wrapped and rerouted the wires away from the hot thermostat pipe. Ops check is normal. Thanks for all the helpful advice.

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I really like a manual switch for the non 3g alternator trucks, if you need to jump another truck or running an accessory that pulls a lot of amps you can set the truck on high idle so the alt can help out more since the 1g alt doesn’t put much out at idle

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
Does the switch normally stay open when cold? (As in, “off”, if it was a toggle switch)