Here's one where were "off-road"

B

Big K

My son is 14 today, and we're about to embark on a project truck for his first. I want a lot of his hands-on effort so he can appreciate what he's got, and hopefully act responsibly with it.

Pre-runner time :D

No firm decisions as yet, but it's just about time to get started.

Pre-runnin and chasin is almost as much fun as racing. :)

Why no auto in the 7 truck? I know I would hate a STD trans in the desert. (Been there and done that a long time ago, still pre-run in it sometimes.) Do you need the extra gear selection to cover the HP limitations? Wouldn't a 4sp/od auto get you close enuf? I just don't know enuf about that class :confused:

We raced this for 2 years long past, decided we were too poor for it, and signed on with the aforementioned effort. Turned out to be a good move. It's my Jeepin' Jeep now. STD trans works good for that, but if I were to build another, it'd be auto.

Attachments

• dsc00646-edit.jpg
    dsc00646-edit.jpg
    55.5 KB · Views: 55

rubberfish

Reaction score
Originally posted by Max Power
Can I borrow your Credit Card # for the deposit? :D
I won't give you mine, but this card fell out of the hookers purse while I was thinking dirty about her bum:)
4789-1587-4436-5842 exp 06/05 Don't know if it still works or not.

Dieselmaster

Diesel addict
Reaction score
Big K,

My son is 14 today, and we're about to embark on a project truck for his first.
That is so cool. I am doing the same thing with my son. He will be 15 in about a month. We were working on a bug for him but my brother just gave him a 88 Ford 3/4 ton truck. Enjoy the time with him, while creating it. That alone will make him respect it more.

Why no auto in the 7 truck? I know I would hate a STD trans in the desert.
We used to run Auto's... The problem is with several things. One is heat, another is gearing options, and yet another is reliability.

We started off running C6's after about 5 of those we went to a turbo 400. It stood up to the punishment longer but the gearing options kept us to under 100mph. Most Auto trans that you see in off-road trucks are 3-speeds. Alot of racers run the auto, but we found that we could go faster and be more reliable with the manual. Some of the trophy trucks that still run the auto go through up to 4-5 tranny's for the Baja 1000. One of the teams - Terrible Herbst - was going through a tranny every race. And the races that they had time to change out the tranny on they would & would alot of times blow the second tranny. They also went to the Weismann manual trans... except they went with the 6 speed. Which is what we are going to put in the Trophy truck. Also the heat produced by the auto is so bad... which is what is killing most of the trans... We ran 3 oil coolers and still had to back off when it started heating up. The attached picture is the coolers we used to run for the trans.

Most racers that do run an Auto are still using a manual valve body so your shifting anyways. Just no clutch... but the cool thing with the transmission that we run is that you don't use a clutch to shift either. Its actually easier to shift without it. The throw on the Weismann trans are so tight that you could probably take a 32 ounce cup and hold it over the shifter and go into each gear and never touch the sides of the cup.

You would have to see this tranny to believe it. You pay for it, but its almost bullet proof.

Attachments

• oil coolers.jpg
    oil coolers.jpg
    14.4 KB · Views: 56

Dieselmaster

Diesel addict
Reaction score
Here's one of Laughlin, We are actually passing the white truck.

He took the edge where it was smoother, you can see how out of shape he is getting. Were running in about 2-3ft whoops and were running about 80-90mph...

Attachments

• 158small.jpg
    158small.jpg
    30.8 KB · Views: 50

KRMNAL1

Reaction score
Big K

Did you and your son make it up to Monroe last Sunday for the Mud Boggs behind the prison ?? There is supposed to be another one in May a little closer to your neck of the woods, somewhere Puyallup I think

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726