Help, Truck won't start Anymore

KFinn

Reaction score
Thank you to all those that helped with input on the thread. I got it running last night between a combination of hooking up 2 things that my friend didn't get put on and bleeding air from fuel rails. It is now RUNNING!!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

KFinn

Reaction score
I do have some other issues that I am hoping I can get some more simple solid advice.

Last night I took it on 2 test drives when running. ONe short one a few blocks to ensure runs, that it smooths out, that battery and oil and temp all look normal. Then after that I took on 87 mile drive and it ran fine.

Today though coming to work I noticed that when I am not on the throttle and in neutral/clutch in, that my oil pressure gauge pegs LOW. If i rev just a tiny bit it comes back to the O in NORMAL which is just under directly half point.

Bad gauge or do I have some other serious issue?

swampdigger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My stocker guage did that until I cleaned out the sender. Scary the first time it happened.

Most guys on here will recommend aftermarket gauges. Apparently the stock gauges suck the big one.

KFinn

Reaction score
My stocker guage did that until I cleaned out the sender. Scary the first time it happened.

Most guys on here will recommend aftermarket gauges. Apparently the stock gauges suck the big one.

Yeah I recall that now that you mention it. I'm afraid at this time that is not the core issue.
what does it show on the stick and do you have a mech guage that you can temporarily hook up?
I haven't checked them yet but after my lunch I have confirmed it is a leak. I am thinking passenger valve cover but not sure until I can get home and out of business clothes to be crawling on the ground. It is leaking somewhere and hitting the right side header/exhaust between the (2) 90 degree angles in the pipe. Not sure if it is not torqued down enough or if the seal is not seated properly.

BUT HEY!!! At least it runs. :D

KFinn

Reaction score
I am thinking passenger valve cover but not sure until I can get home and out of business clothes to be crawling on the ground.
I think its the valve cover because when the truck is still warming up after starting. even if the gauge says its warm already. It takes a bit of driving about 5 min to start flopping to LOW. This would make sense as pressure/heat builds up and then starts leaking.

Thinking out loud sorry.

Freight_Train

Traitor to the brotherhood
Reaction score
Well,the stock gauge is not a guage.It is basically an Idiot light with a needle.The gauge is an on/off switch.Once it gets to 6PSI it closes and the gauge goes to middle ways.

BigRigTech

Diesel junky
Reaction score
I just bought a triple APC guage pod for my 91 on ebay. I'm planning on a water temp, oil pressure and trans temp gauge. I also got a freebie pyro probe from work but I need to order a gauge for it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance