Help please!!!!

sandman116

Reaction score
I have a 1992 f350 2wd dually....about a year ago I had the tranny rebuilt. Recently its started acting up. When I first start the truck I have no overdrive. You can push the button all you want but it says "overdrive off". After the truck runs for about 45 minutes the button starts flashing and if Im driving, the truck jumps in and out of overdrive for about 5 minutes then the button and overdrive start working as they should. Also It feels like my torque converter isnt locking up under heavy throttle.....can anybody help, I dont want to replace another tranny.

Thanks in Advanced

P.S. How do I tell if the TPS is not working properly

1466IH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was having the same issues and mine i am almost positive is electrical. I am not sure what to check yet i am still hunting down other wiring issues

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The first thing to check is the three wires in the steering column,red, green and yellow, the insulation does wear from turning. You also may be driving in what is called limp mode, the trans locks up when shifting from 2nd to 3rd, it will not lockup if it's in limp mode. Your tach and speedo has to be working flawlessly, the TPS (FIPL) has to be set correctly also, the VSS located on the rear diff drives the speedo and effects the shifting. There is a relay on the drivers side by the firewall that feeds the ECU, contacts can be dirty/burnt. Any one of those can effect what your describing.

If you know how to extract the DTC codes, it might tell you what is malfunctioning. there surely is code(s) set.

Last edited:

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Most likely its a bad electrical connection. they get dirty and the connections become intermitent. To check the TPS on the injection pump the engine must be wramed up first. Then you turn on the ignition but the engine is off. Its called key on engine off or koeo.. The tps located on the drivers side of the pump has three wires to it. The center wire is the one you want to check for voltage. At idle the voltage should be .96 to 1.2 volts. The higher voltage the firmer the shifts. Now if that switch has never been replaced its now time to replace it. The black switches were not very good and failed often so buy the grey switch. Be careful how it is installed on the throttle shaft blade. It has to be wound up as its installed. Look at the old switch to see what sides the drive tab fits. Hope this helps.

sandman116

Reaction score
My problem has since gotten worse. I now have no overdrive at all.....Im becoming puzzled haha

trackspeeder

Stone crusher.
Reaction score
Is the tranny under a warranty.. Send it back.

No fourth gear could be mechanical or electrical. Mechanical, could be low pressure, loose feed bolt, or stuck valve.

Electrical, S2 solenoid has failed.