Help me locate this leak

HS108

Diesel Newb
Reaction score
When replacing my turbo, I noticed a lot of oil all over the place.

I took some pics from the bottom looking up where the downpipe would be.

I notice a lot of oil on the motor on the passenger side of the motor, and a lot of gunk in the Valley pan as well, also pretty junked up in the pocket where the GP under the turbo is located.

I was leaning towards the valve covers gaskets but, I notice wet oil in the back of the engine near the up pipe

You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

Any ideas

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
There is a oil gallery back there. Shouldn't randomly leak like that though.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

HS108

Diesel Newb
Reaction score
Ya. Idk, I think it's the valve cover, but my buddy says no. I'm not 100% tho

I've read somewhere the heads can't leak oil? Is that true? If so I don't know what else it could be other than the valve cover?

Unless the oil feed line was shooting up but I doubt That
Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oil leaks are hard to find sometimes, even for experienced mechanics. The valve covers are obvious culprits and even if they are not the root cause of the largest leak, if they haven't ever been changed you can be guaranteed they are contributing some to the leaking. I would change them and see what happens afterward.

Another place to look for leaks at the rear is the oil pressure sending unit or switch, whichever you have. It's way behind the intake on the top of the block near the firewall.

homelessduck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Isn't there a drain at the back of the valley pan that dumps to the passenger side ? Could be leaking into the pan and running down.. Whenever I have mystery leaks I add some dye.

HS108

Diesel Newb
Reaction score
Noticed my valve cover bolts were finger tight, I tighten them up, and I will see what happens, I'm already so far behind on my project, it's not a gusher so major worries.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
We do have a drain at the back of the valley pan and it does drain down the passenger side of the block usually ending up covering the starter.

HS108

Diesel Newb
Reaction score
That's what mine seems like, where is This drain at

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Oil leaks on a dirty engine are nigh impossible to determine

Steam that bad boy off really well...then when leaks show up you knkw exactly where they start...

Oil leak..add dirt....grows like moss covering the real culprit...more oil bigger patch of dirt...n so on just grows n grows...

JM7.3CW Eh!

Danielle

No, it's not finished
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Oil leaks on a dirty engine are nigh impossible to determine

Steam that bad boy off really well...then when leaks show up you knkw exactly where they start...

Oil leak..add dirt....grows like moss covering the real culprit...more oil bigger patch of dirt...n so on just grows n grows...

JM7.3CW Eh!
I agree. With my customers I usually explain all of this and recommend we start from the top and work our way down, cleaning as best we can as you go.

That way you can split up the costs and locate smaller leaks as you repair bigger gaskets

Sent from my LG-H901 using Tapatalk

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Actually slower leaks you don't need to worry too much about are the ones the dirt grows on. It's the clean wet areas that are leaking really bad. The detergents and high flow rate clean the area off and the dirt doesn't have a chance to stick.

jwalterus

Made in America
Reaction score
It's the clean wet areas that are leaking really bad. The detergents and high flow rate clean the area off and the dirt doesn't have a chance to stick.

if you have a leak that bad, you're not going to have to search real hard to find it..... LOL

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
That's what mine seems like, where is This drain at

Go to the head gasket and ARP studs posting and look at pic 8 of 9. See the copper colored seal in the rear of the valley pan. That is where the drin is. This owner has removed the plug that has a 3/8 drive hex in it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tyler9828

Staff online