Help me fill my last guage spot

HS108

Diesel Newb
Reaction score
Help me fill my last gauge spot

I bought a 4 guage A pillar set up, I plan on having Boost, pyro, tranny temp for sure in there.

Ive bought 4 guages from Mel already in the ISS-Pro group buy, and I picked up an engine coolant temp guage in that order along with the other 3, but now im torn if that was the right choice for the fourth spot, maybe I should have went oil temp, or oil pressure.

Should I just run what I have or sell the coolant one and get something different, or just forget all this and just run the big 3.

Last edited:

cpdenton

Truck needs paint.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a 4 gauge pillar mount also. I have a boost, oil pressure, water temp and voltage gauge. I would have a trans temp, but I have a manual transmission. I have my pyro mounted on top of my steering column in an autometer gauge pod.

I really like having the pyro there also. Works good for me.

If it were me, I would add a water temp and oil pressure gauge along with this gauge pod.

You must be registered for see images attach

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
I'd run a true oil pressure gauge. The factory temperature gauge in the dash is close enough to a "real" gauge.
:bs I'm sorry but the factory dash gauge is not"Good enough" period. What it tells you is nothing till its too late. Sure, your watching it climb thru the NORMAL letters but it that the temp you want to see.. Well it was on the "O" then all oof a sudden it pegged and the engine quit running. then it woulsn't spin with the starter... Been there too. Run an oil pressure gauge. Nothing nicer than seeing the actual oil pressure instead of the fake a$$ dash gauge telling you nothing worth knowing..

Attachments

• DSC00193.jpg
    DSC00193.jpg
    643.8 KB · Views: 49

lindstromjd

Black Sheep
Reaction score
So which gauge are you telling him to run? The engine temp or oil pressure? Excuse me for adding my input, because I run both in my truck. And I know just by looking at my dash engine temp what my true temp is. They correspond exactly with each other. Dash gauge goes up, true engine temp gauge is showing a little hot. Dash gauge goes down, true engine temp shows cooler. So yes, to me, the factory engine temp gauge is "good enough" without my true gauge in the truck. I'd rather know what my oil pressure was if my dash gauges were working fine and I was adding true gauges again (because I've already done that).

Brad S.

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Use the coolant gauge, but put the sender in or around the lower radiator hose, somewhere after it flows through the radiator.
To watch how well your radiator is doing..???
Since you have a extra gauge.

cpdenton

Truck needs paint.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have both gauges in my truck as well...coolant temp gauges. The factory does go up and down with the autometer gauge, but I did notice is. Last time I pulled my camper, I had to pull a grade that had me down to second gear....for a long time...about 2 miles. My autometer gauge got up to about 253 or so..the factory gauge only got up to the M. So, at maximum temperature(or a little over) the gauge was not maxed out because I have that aftermarket gauge in the factory over temp switch. My factory gauge would have pegged if that factory switch was still active. What that tells me is the factory gauge will go from just above the middle to pegged, than it is too late.

I think you are better off being able to compare what the aftermarket gauge is showing to the factory gauge. Without that comparison, you are really just guessing what the reading is. As in, it's in the middle, so it must be ok.

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I bought a 4 guage A pillar set up, I plan on having Boost, pyro, tranny temp for sure in there.

Ive bought 4 guages from Mel already in the ISS-Pro group buy, and I picked up an engine coolant temp guage in that order along with the other 3, but now im torn if that was the right choice for the fourth spot, maybe I should have went oil temp, or oil pressure.

Should I just run what I have or sell the coolant one and get something different, or just forget all this and just run the big 3.

you did good.stick to your guns.those are the most important.
trans (e40d) temp
engine water temp
boost
egt

if you want to add another pod,simply add a triple pod down under the dash for more.
oil temp,
oil pressure,
etc.

up on my pillar iv got;
water temps
trans temps
oil pressure

down under the dash by brake controller iv got;
boost,
pyro,
oil temp (oil temp gauge needs sending unit tapped into pan.but now with aux oil cooler i don't really "need" a gauge.)

if you suspect high oil temps when under load pulling grades (coolant temps climbing too high or getting close) then simply use a point and shoot tool and pull over and shoot the pan at the top of the hill.it'll let you know if you need more aux oil cooling or not.worked for me.i see that basically anything over 240ish oil pan temps stresses the cooling system too much.

HS108

Diesel Newb
Reaction score
Thanks for the input guys, you guys make some pretty good points.

When I ordered the gauges, I talked to Mel and asked his opinion on what should I run for the fourth gauge. He made a pretty good point (at least it made sense to me) that I should run the coolant temp guage because you live or die by that reading, by the time you noticed that your oil pressure has dropped and is at zero its already too late.

I respect his opinion as I feel that he has a better knowledge of these motors than I ever will, but I've just had too much free time at the fire house I guess and I've started to wander off path and question my choice of gauge

Keep the inputs coming

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Oil pressure, coolant temp, boost & pyro. Anything else is simpley an extra information. We have no way to control the engine oil temp except to idle the engine. The oem oil cooler works but not like we really need it to.