Help me confirm inj pump/injectors are on there way out (wall of text alert)

DesertBen44

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I realize no one can give me a definite answer, I have a new (used) inj pump that I know works and ordered a set of bb code injectors, hoping to put it all in this weekend.

Here are the symptoms...

Truck has a TON of trouble starting, this morning it took about 3 minutes of off and on cranking and iritating the entire neighborhood (5am) to start.,

Once it starts, it stumbles to life, sometimes surges, sometimes dies immediately, and ALWAYS smokes like a chimney. I can literally watch the smoke cloud engulf whatever is nearbye.

Once running it runs great, but lacks power. I recently moved from Tucson to Grand Junction, CO pulling a bmw 318 on a trailer the first trip, and struggled to maintain 55 on 6% grades through flagstaff and utah. The second trip which was pulling a uhaul enclosed trailer with my 1500 pound snapon toolbox in the bed I struggled even more, had trouble maintaining 35 on one grade. (N/A with 4.10s) On the first trip i maintained 15.6 mpg while towing, second trip was 12.3. Second load couldn't have been much heavier then the first.

Initially I thought it to be my glow plug system, but the starting problem even occurs when its really warm out.

My exhaust also smells sort of like unburnt fuel.

My injectors are also painted gray, which makes me think maybe they are original? (truck has over 300k) so i figure I will just replace all of them while im at it.

Last, the truck runs like absolute crap when it first starts.

I had a air intrusion problem last year, fixed it, and this issue does not seem the same. also I have a duralift pump if that matters.

On another note, if anyone knows someone or some shop near Grand Junction who knows how to time these puppies, that would be a helpful tip, or if anyone here is nearbye and has the equipment, I could pay you for your help.

Just looking for reassurance that this sounds like a fuel delivery issue, since my garage isnt even unpacked yet its going to be quite the undertaking for me this weekend I think (if I can even get time off from work)

Thanks in advance as always! Sorry about the novel.

Here are some random pictures of the truck doin' work. Wanted to paint those doors before I installed them, but didnt feel like loading/unloading and storing them LOL

You must be registered for see images attach

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
I feel your neededing an injection pump and injecters. Now I know the injecters COULD have been painted gery when they may have been replaced but its only a guess. We all agree the fuel system usually lasts for around 125,000 miles. ?Some get much more and some get a little less. But this is the findings from years of research on these engines. As for the differance in fuel mileage.. Thats an easy answer... The car was built to cut under the air... The trailer was not.. Way too much wind resistance tugging the trailer regardless of the weight.

DesertBen44

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good call on wind resistance, to add to it the toolbox stuck above the cab a little. And yeah I have tried atf and howes, all that good stuff. Thanks for advise so far!

Shadetreemechanic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
did the atf or Howes make any appreciable difference while it was in there? If your injectors have 330K on them they are definitely worn, but your description could also be air intrusion somewhere for the rough start and retarded timing on the power. I'd start with a clear section of return line between the #1 injector and the fuel filter head. Once that is in place you will be able to know for sure whether you have air problems.

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
when I first read the post in my mind I went - air leaking into system. Do you have any wet spots on the return or supply side of things?

Now for being down on power - poor injector pump and injectors can cause that problem.

DesertBen44

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No wet spots on the new return lines, definite moist spots under my IP though forgot to mention that, will hopefully get some clear tubing on the #1 cyl to fuel filter and see whats going on!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nanohawk

Members online