help leaking fuel around adapter wire thingy

lastbugle

Full Access Member
Reaction score
help leaking fuel around adapter wire thingy and a great big thank you added

post #13

OK it never seems to end now the top of the fuel filter the piece the filter screws on and the fuel lines go out theres a blue wire with a black cap and its leaking around that black cap pretty good to. I tried to pop off the cap gentle but firm it didn't want to come off, I didn't want to break it not knowing. is that a seal to fix or tighten or ????????? truck again 92 -F250- 7.3
Thanks

Last edited:

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's the intrigal fuel heater connector. I believe you can order the heater seperately.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
As posted thats the fuel heater connecter. You can buy the o-ring from International. The part number is 1811053C1...:sly

lastbugle

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OK thanks guys do I have to take off the fuel filter to change this o-ring.

I just talked to ford people the only way to get this o-ring is to buy a $160.00 heater part rather not.
I dont now any international dealers around portland or. I tried to do a look up no good.
Woundering if just a regular o-ring will work or is it a special thing.

Last edited:

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I just talked to ford people the only way to get this o-ring is to buy a $160.00 heater part rather not.
I dont now any international dealers around portland or. I tried to do a look up no good.

Brattain IH on columbia blvd
800-275-9200

GenLightening

Yeah, it's a CHEVY!
Reaction score

There's a write up somewhere here showing how to disassemble the heater and replace the orings. Pretty easy job.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Another thing you need to know about this repair. If I recall correctly everything comes out from the bottom or inside the fuel filter cover... Its really not to hard but it is involved so don't feel like you need to rush it... Things break and then you are paying $160.00 for a new one....

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
As posted thats the fuel heater connecter. You can buy the o-ring from International. The part number is 1811053C1...:sly

Are you sure about that # for a '92 7.3 ? I know when I went through that on mine, I went to International first and they looked it up and told me that filter head/ heater unit is a ford part, and when I tried to get just the O ring from ford it was, gotta buy a new filter head to get the Oring cookoo The oring comes with a new filter head or a new heater unit but not by itself, and that was through Silver State ford online, and they're the good guys ( what the local dealer tried to sell it for was obscene )

Compu Doc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Are you sure about that # for a '92 7.3 ? I know when I went through that on mine, I went to International first and they looked it up and told me that filter head/ heater unit is a ford part, and when I tried to get just the O ring from ford it was, gotta buy a new filter head to get the Oring cookoo The oring comes with a new filter head or a new heater unit but not by itself, and that was through Silver State ford online, and they're the good guys ( what the local dealer tried to sell it for was obscene )

That would not surprise me in the least. I went to Ford to try to get the drivers side mirror glass and they told me that I would have to buy the whole mirror at some ungodly amount.

I tried one of those mirror glass replacement things from Advance auto but it was about an 1/8" to small. I could have just used the double sided tape they provided with it and covered the new mirror onto the cracked one but I did not want to do that so I put the cracked glass back in and haven't gotten around to fixing it yet. One year I will.

Maybe Ford can give you an exploded diagram of the thing and then it might have the size O ring you need or perhaps the actual part number of the O ring. Perhaps the service manager could help you out with that. The one thing I do not understand though is why International said it is a ford item when in fact the name International and their company logo are on the bottom of the filter water separator part.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Nope... The part number I posted I got it here some time back a few months. I did replace mine one and Ford sold me the heater along with the o-ring... So if they are not selling parts now I figure its these changing times... Nobody really likes them either... Pay more and get less...:dunno

lastbugle

Full Access Member
Reaction score
it worked

All I can say is WOW! and a great big thanks to all!!!

My $160.00 fix turned into a $2.84 fix THANKS to you guys.

THANKS for telling me what the part was because trying to explain a part to someone and saying thingy really doesn't cut it. :D

THANKS for the phone number to international .

THANKS for the part number having that made it so easy and yes it is the right part number.

THANKS for the look at how it comes apart, all though it wasn't like mine.
I did break the black cap a little I have no idea how that comes off with such deep groves cut in it and mine you had to take the filter nut off because their was a metal plate behind it.

Its just really really nice to have a place where you can go and friendly knowledgeable people who are willing to share.

I feel bad because all I have are questions I wish I could contribute and share but I don't know anything about diesels.

Ill have more help questions coming soon so get ready for me! LOL
THANKS AGAIN TO ALL!!