HELP!! IP adjustment problem!!

Wanderer-rrorc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've ruined 6 5/32nd allen wrenches today...

I cant seem to get it to turn...

I did turn it up twice since I got her...last time it was too much and I backed it down a flat...now I cant get it to go in or out...

HELP!!

the turbo's on...my EGT's at 60 on flat ground are 330-340...full throttle only gets me a haze...I KNOW it has more..and the power isnt that much more than it was pre-turbo...

any ideas??? run it for a bit and do it hot?? (thats how I loosen my manifold bolts on my gassers without bustin the bolts...)

MeanGreen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah they can be a pain! Make sure you are using quality allen wrenches. Craftsman at the least, snap-on or MAC. Check the head of the screw and make sure it isn't toast now. Also, I would be concerned about metal chips from the wrench inside the pump. I hope not, but you might need to flush it out to be safe.
I have never heard of one of these screws seizing up, but maybe it did. I have adjusted them hot before, but it's not fun!
One more thought, maybe get a 5/32 allen "socket". You know, it's a 1/4 or 3/8 drive socket but has a allen bit in the end. That way you could be more leverage....but be careful! Not sure if the shoulder of the socket will allow it to get down inside the IP far enough either.

Jerry

Goofyexponent

Mentally Unstable..
Reaction score
Mine got stuck too, so what I did was put the allen wrench into the adjustment screw and made sure it was in there good! Then i took a 1/4" wrench and used the boxed end to turn the allen wrench.....slow steady pressure got my screw to turn. Once it cracked loose it was easy to turn.

dyoung14

Is getting worn out
Reaction score
they use self locking threads they will be hard to turn, and if not using a good quality wrench you could very well ruin an ip

Wanderer-rrorc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've been lookin at it...the allen screw is ok..the wrenches havnt left any shavings just rounding their edges off...

I think Im gonna try warming her up a bit..then complaining while its hot...LOL

tried the socket 5/32....its not long enough to get in there....I've been using a 1/4in deepwell socket and the 6in (1/4) extention with the allen wrench secured with electrical tape to keep it from sliping...its plenty of leverage..just keep stripin them...gonna try a metric wrench too...(little over sized)...and hammer it in!

dyoung14

Is getting worn out
Reaction score
I've been lookin at it...the allen screw is ok..the wrenches havnt left any shavings just rounding their edges off...

I think Im gonna try warming her up a bit..then complaining while its hot...LOL

tried the socket 5/32....its not long enough to get in there....I've been using a 1/4in deepwell socket and the 6in (1/4) extention with the allen wrench secured with electrical tape to keep it from sliping...its plenty of leverage..just keep stripin them...gonna try a metric wrench too...(little over sized)...and hammer it in!

i would do any hammering that could possibly mess something off, go spend the money and get a good wrench and when you turn it make sure you push and hold it firmly in the ip

Wanderer-rrorc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
20 allen wrenches later..several craftsman...(no joke)....still no turning up..did turn it back a little..so the screw is probaly striped (head rounded) going in..(tightening)..

any ideas???...tried it after 10min of idle...but could get it out and get it HOT and try it!!..if that will help...

anyone??

Andylad13

DieselBoy
Reaction score
This may be a stupid thought, but have you tried turning it both ways? Sometimes loosening it before tightening it will break it loose.

FordGuy100

Reaction score
Geez, you are having a hard time. When I did mine the other day it didnt want to turn anyway. I put a vise grip on it and turned it down about 1 flat, and then was able to turn it up about 1.75 flats (so around .75 flats past what I have been driving around as). I did mine with the truck hot, hot enough that I was burning my hand if I touched anything in there.

Wanderer-rrorc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This may be a stupid thought, but have you tried turning it both ways? Sometimes loosening it before tightening it will break it loose.
yup..managed to back it down about 1/2 a flat..then couldnt get it forward..

Geez, you are having a hard time. When I did mine the other day it didnt want to turn anyway. I put a vise grip on it and turned it down about 1 flat, and then was able to turn it up about 1.75 flats (so around .75 flats past what I have been driving around as). I did mine with the truck hot, hot enough that I was burning my hand if I touched anything in there.

I think this is how its gonna happen with mine...Im just BARELY takin the edges off the allens...last year I didnt have a single problem turning it up..

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
morerunner

Members online