HELP! Head gasket change problems!

spencnaz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Truck blew the gasket on the driver's side cylinder head. We worked from 9am to 1am last night on the job.

Talk about a big job, sheesh. We had to loosen up the intake manifold to get the cylinder head out as the Hypermax turbo oil return line was in the way of removing the intake manifold. We got the cylinder head out, changed the gasket, and inspected for any cracks as best we could. I really need to be able to remove the intake manifold.

Cylinder head looked just fine, pistons were nice and clean the the bores were in fine shape.

We wiggled the head back into place, (took us 3 tries since the gasket was being lifted off the rear dowel by those 2 head bolts at the back that are such a pain to install.).

At about 1230 last night as my friend was putting the intake manifold bolts back in and I was adding coolant to the radiator, we hear this sound of water hitting the shop floor.

There is coolant flowing out the back of the cylinder head! I can see it pooling up around the glowplug controller and the two rear cylinder glowplug area holes! Did I screw up the head gasket?

Talk about a disappointment! So I call again on you to HELP! It's obvious that I need to remove the head yet again.

Any one know how to remove a Hypermax turbo without disassembling the whole engine? Should I just take the turbo off from turbo mounting flange? I doubt this is a cracke head, the truck wasn't leaking any coolant previously.

Last edited:

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You need to remove the intake, the pan is not designed to be reused and some of them seal water holes in the head. The way you did it is not how to do the repair on a diesel.
I dont have any experience with hypermax but someone will chime in soon.

spencnaz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
To the point, but thanks. I've ordered a new valley pan.

The task today is to remove the turbo.

punkmechanic

diesel tech
Reaction score
just pull the 4 rear bolts that mount the turbo onto the mount. its gonna take some shimmying and wiggling but the turbo comes out, then the intake will lift out, then the valley pan, then the head (again, sorry bout that). Its not a bad job, but its not easy and quick. get an old couch cushion to put on the core support and lay on, makes for a much more comfortable job.

lemme know if you need anything else.

punk

spencnaz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I found a much easier solution. I removed the oil drain back tube that goes between the turbo and the valley pan. Once that was out the way, I was able to remove the intake and the valley pan.

The valley pan was filthy, a new one will be installed tomorrow night.