HELP D60 ?'s

fine6.9

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know this has probly been covered before, but i didn't find anything searching the threads. So I just picked up an 86 F250 that had a D60 swapped in two owners ago. The thing rides terrible and has bad bumpsteer, they used the tierod and drag link setup from the IFS, and I want to change it over to the straight tierod that runs from side to side and the correct draglink. Does anyone know what parts I can use for this? This is a kingpin D60. Can I just go to the local auto parts store and order this stuff for an 86 F 350? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

yotee

Full Access Member
Reaction score
where to start?
are the shackles in front of the axle? if so does it have the panhard bar? if not you need it.
does it have a shackle reversal? if so you should not need the panhar bar.
as far as riding like poo, is it lifted? if so how and what springs?
the steering for the ifs i believe is the same(panhard bar should fix the bump steer) but if it isnt some one will correct me. i think you are asking about hysteer? if so sky's off road, blue torch fab, ballistic fab................... the list goes on.

is this the steering you are asking about?
You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

gonecrazyi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The dana 60 steering arms can be bought at autozone. They are a lot different then the ifs setup, which would be a large part of the steering problem.

As for riding bad, check the shocks as well as the spring bushings.

fine6.9

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yotee, not looking for high steer, just stock D60.

gonecrazyi, do I just need to order the parts for an 86 F350?

Thanks guys.

gonecrazyi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yep, there a little pricey, but worth it.

Does it happen to have a track bar?

I drove my truck around for 3 months without one after I insalled my d60 and I never had a problem. Then out of the blue it started handling crappy and would death wabble on really bad roads.

White Trash

IDI noob
Reaction score
Yup just get the parts for the same year F350 and you'll be fine. And as said, if the shackles are still out front you'll need the panhard bar too.

forcefed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a spare track bar but not the bracket. If you look on e-bay you can find them every now and then but pricey. If you have a lift you will need a drop track barbracket.

fine6.9

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Checked with autozone tonight, the only thing they can get is the draglink. Going to check napa tomorrow.:dunno Might have to get the crossover bar from ford, that should be real cheap-cuss No track bar on the truck, have to get that on there for sure.

THECACKLER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
IFS leaf springs are stiffer than Monobeam leafs. Also there's a number stamped into the front of the axle tube that will tell you the year it was built. Anybody with a Spicer catalog can decode it. Then you can ask for the F350 parts for that year. ( At NAPA of course.) You will have three tie rods to buy. Right ( Long ) and Left outers make the Knuckle to Knuckle rod with an adjuster sleeve. The Right inner takes it up to the Pitman. It's one serious axle and worth every penny you put into it.

forcefed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Napa should have everything you need. I got my stuff from napa and actually it was cheaper than my f250 drag links. I believe they are 1 1/8" instead of 7/8" that is on the f250.