Help! Clutch pedal problem

gdhillon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just had a look at out and I can't really see what your talki.g about, I moved the clutch up and down and couldn't see the pin sticking out

gdhillon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I took a couple pics but apparently I can't upload from my phone can I email them to you?

bike-maker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine had the same symptoms on 2 separate occasions. On mine, the slave cylinder would eventually work it's way out of the forked mount on the side of the trans case. After I got the slave pried into place after the second time, I drilled/tapped a hole through the retainer clip and into the aluminum behind it; held up fine ever since. Both times the retainer stayed on the slave cylinder.

Simp5782

SNOW TACKLER!
Reaction score
Well the rod mounting looks fine. play with the rod where it goes thru the firewall and see if its loose or feels broken. If its fine, you need to take a 1/2" wrench and take your slave cylinder off the transmission cause it might have broke the rode that pushes the clutch fork. Or it shot the rod out.

idi traveler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine had the same symptoms on 2 separate occasions. On mine, the slave cylinder would eventually work it's way out of the forked mount on the side of the trans case. After I got the slave pried into place after the second time, I drilled/tapped a hole through the retainer clip and into the aluminum behind it; held up fine ever since. Both times the retainer stayed on the slave cylinder.

I had this same thing happen to me only it shot the rod out and the slave had to be replaced. I used a self drilling roofing screw as my safety. Worked great ever sense.

gdhillon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well the rod mounting looks fine. play with the rod where it goes thru the firewall and see if its loose or feels broken. If its fine, you need to take a 1/2" wrench and take your slave cylinder off the transmission cause it might have broke the rode that pushes the clutch fork. Or it shot the rod out.

ok, ill consult good ol haynes on how to do this. the slave cylinder reservoir is the black one beside brake booster?

gdhillon

Full Access Member
Reaction score

do you have pics of where on the retainer you drilled?

gdhillon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
so from my understanding the clutch pedal shaft is pretty much fixed to the truck and its hidden by dash?
and the slave cylinder is on engine side of firewall right infront of pedal and the pushrod goes through the firewall and it is what actually operates the clutch?...so what your saying simp is that that rod is stuck?, So is only way to repair to replace?. and the lil black reservoir beside the brake booster is the reservoir for slave cylinder. The link i used was the one below:

http://www.thedieselfiles.com/Ford/1989/TSB90167Clutch.pdf

Simp5782

SNOW TACKLER!
Reaction score
The clutch pedal attaches to a the plunger rod that goes into the clutch master thru the firewall. It is attached to the pedal properly. You need to check the rod going into the clutch master by shaking it to make sure that it is not broke off inside of the firewall or slave. IF IT IS FINE. You need to crawl under the truck and take the slave off the transmission. It is held on by 2 nuts (1/2" size wrench) SOME HAVE A SLIDE CLIP ON, you just pry it off. If it has the nuts take the nuts off and pull the slave out to ensure that the plunger rod that is made to it is still intact. Basically its a rod that pushes the clutch engagement when you push the clutch pedal. the hydraulic fluid from when you push the clutch rod in causes that rod to extend into the transmission clutch fork. They tend to either break or pop out and shoot into the transmission and basically doesnt allow the clutch to engage.

Attachments

• Slave2.jpg
    Slave2.jpg
    143.3 KB · Views: 42

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tyler9828

Members online

No members online now.