heater hoses

Boondocker44

Reaction score
what is the hose that branches off one of the heater hose to the bottom of the radiator on my 1990 f250 7.3 idi... its connected to a restricted fitting. I bought a new radiator and that connection is threaded with a straight fitting and an o-ring, the stock fitting is tapered... i had to block it off, i couldn't find an adapter or the correct restricted fitting to reinstall... any help would be greatly appreciated, thank you.

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
Heater hose going to the radiator? Sounds like an A/T cooler line. Or someone decided to feed the heater hose into the A/T cooler part of the radiator.

Boondocker44

Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

Boondocker44

Reaction score
So there are some pics, there is a factory crimped t with a hose that goes down to the lower radiator tank, it has nothing to do with the transmission lines, you can see the small hole in the restricted fitting, I'm just wondering what the purpose is for running a heater hose into the lower tank? At one point I was a diesel mechanic in the navy and can't figure this one out. Also when removing the resteicted fitting it broke the soldered joint and you can clearly see into the lower tank. I'll download a closeup of this.

Boondocker44

Reaction score
so there's the lower tank, from left to right, peacock drain, lower radiator hose, transmission cooler fitting, transmission cooler fitting, then the hole where that restricted fitting was inserted, the heater hose branches off that T in the pic and goes to that fitting. Again, if anyone knows the purpose of this and if I'm going to damage anything by blocking it off I could use some help. Thanks guys.

Boondocker44

Reaction score
Here's a pic of the new radiator, it has the same setup as the old one but the fittings are slightly different. I bought the tranny adapters at ace hardware (awesome help) but can't manage to find one that will adapt a fluted fitting to a straight fitting with a land and o-ring set up.

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
Weird, I just checked my F250 and it has what feels like a hex head plug in that port. (Didn't crawl under due to it being parked over dirt). Also checked my RV's radiator and it doesn't even have that port at all.

Boondocker44

Reaction score
Yeah, I'm confused about this one, I used to be a mechanic years ago and have never ran across something like this, thanks for the support though! Waiting to see if anyone else has some input, I bought the factory repair manuals and they don't even list it!

Boondocker44

Reaction score
that new radiator is awesome though! It runs so cool now I'm gonna have to change the thermostat. Especially with the colder weather upon us. Not that it gets that cold in Western Washington.

Boondocker44

Reaction score

Boondocker44

Reaction score
holy crap, guess I hit a wrong button, sorry about all the doubles. Thats the fitting that came out of the old radiator, and the last pic of the old radiator itself.

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
Maybe someone put that fitting for some reason, in place of the plug like my F250 has.