HEATER CONTROL VALVE POSITION

bass guy

Reaction score
Hey y'all. I have a question regarding the plastic heater control valves on my 87 E350 6.9l IDI Club Wagon (it has rear heat/ac as well). When I removed the hoses and metal pipes to clean up the engine compartment, the valves were between the metal pipes and the heater core. Must they be reinstalled there or could each one be installed in the hoses coming from the water pump and the curb side fitting? I thought, perhaps, the PO installed them wrong as they were a pain to install in the position they were in, inline with the hoses seems way simpler. Hope that's clear.

bass guy

Reaction score
Nobody? Kinda hoping someone with an older van might chime in or, maybe, someone with factory/dealer knowledge regarding the location of those valves might be able to clue me in.

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There's a lot of guys on here that might know, but lots of them aren't on here all the time. Sometimes it takes a day or two to get one of them to see your post.

bass guy

Reaction score
Chillman88, that's cool, thanks for the heads up! I've been working on these things for years but you never can know everything! This resource is an amazing storehouse of knowledge, heck, I find myself just reading old posts sometimes! Looking forward to any response I might get!:cheers:

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah I've learned A LOT but my van knowledge is pretty much nonexistent! I think @Cubey and @genscripter are the most active van owners on here, I'm sure there's others but those two came to mind.

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
Mine is between the right side of block and heater core, as I recall. Looks like it in pics of the area too. The hose from next to the water pump curves over the top of the alternator and goes to the heater core.

Old pics so they aren't totally in frame showing the hoses, but you can see just well enough. The heater hoses were likely orginal when I got it. Only the upper radiator hose was replaced at one point. I replaced all heater hoses and both radiator hoses when the lower radiator hose sprung a leak when I was idling it, doing vacuum diagnostics a year ago.

(These pics were taken when I was replacing injector o-rings, hence the alternator being removed to gain access to the return lines)

You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

bass guy

Reaction score
Thanks Cubey! So upon zooming in to your second picture, it appears the valve is in the rubber heater hose between the block and your heater core (I think). Do you have rear heat/ac in your ride? I have two metal pipes that run from near the heater core, across the top of the engine bay and then down past the fuel filter tower. My valves were in line with these pipes but were hard to get to. Since the pipes are fed by the respective hoses, my question is can I plumb the valves in the hoses or must they be in line with the metal pipes? I will post pics later when the monsoon stops flooding!:eek:

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
Thanks Cubey! So upon zooming in to your second picture, it appears the valve is in the rubber heater hose between the block and your heater core (I think). Do you have rear heat/ac in your ride? I have two metal pipes that run from near the heater core, across the top of the engine bay and then down past the fuel filter tower. My valves were in line with these pipes but were hard to get to. Since the pipes are fed by the respective hoses, my question is can I plumb the valves in the hoses or must they be in line with the metal pipes? I will post pics later when the monsoon stops flooding!:eek:

Yes, that's the valve. You can see the black plastic vacuum next next to the hose. No rear AC/heat being a motorhome.

I don't see how it matters where the valves are, so long as they are plumbed into the system in the same way, along the same coolant route.

This is the valve mine uses, so you have to connect it to hoses.
https://www.oreillyauto.com/detail/.../e-350-econoline?q=heater+control+valve&pos=3

bass guy

Reaction score
Ahhh.....the info I was hoping to hear! Man, this place is great! Kinda like a cool bar with great music and cold beer, inhabited by IDI fans! Much thanks to y'all! :cheers: :Thumbs Up :music:

bass guy

Reaction score
I just looked at that link, that is what i have that runs my rear heat, I have the big, clunky plastic ones up front, that is why I was hoping to be able to put 'em in the lines instead of jammed into the (non-exsistant) space between the metal lines and the heater core!

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
I just looked at that link, that is what i have that runs my rear heat, I have the big, clunky plastic ones up front, that is why I was hoping to be able to put 'em in the lines instead of jammed into the (non-exsistant) space between the metal lines and the heater core!

The plastic ones are what are being sold now in place of the partial metal one, but they look the same. I suspect they can be used for either, but the catalog just doesn't say so.

https://www.oreillyauto.com/detail/...yg368/4495030/1985/ford/e-350-econoline?pos=3

bass guy

Reaction score
The plastic ones are what are being sold now in place of the partial metal one, but they look the same. I suspect they can be used for either, but the catalog just doesn't say so.

https://www.oreillyauto.com/detail/...yg368/4495030/1985/ford/e-350-econoline?pos=3

Yup, my thoughts as well. They have functioned reasonably well ie, heat when I need it, none when I don't. Figure since I just put a new pump, injectors and lines on I might as well replace all the hoses as well. Pulled them off, started looking at the ugly, greasy metal pipes that feed the rear comfort zone and the next thing you know, I'm sandblasting, painting, buying hose clamps and valves.......working on old Iron is like eating potato chips, smashing windows and getting tattoos...once you get started..........;burnout;burnout;burnout