Headlight relay kit

Kevin 007

Full-floater
Reaction score
I have seen some posts on relaying out the headlight harness to eliminate the voltage loss through the switch.
Is there a relay kit available that is plug and play?

There was one that I always bought for old VW diesels. Just plug and play, no cutting, splicing or nothin.

jwalterus

Made in America
Reaction score
pretty sure they are all cut and splice, but if you put some spade ends on your wires you could plug it into the headlight plug instead of splicing it in

Kevin 007

Full-floater
Reaction score
No the ones I bought for the VW's were plug and play. And another good thing about them was that if the relays failed for whatever reason; one could simply un-plug them and go back to the stock setup to get you home.

The factory wiring plugs would plug into the aftermarket relay female plug, thus firing the relays and from there the power would go to the lamps.

Can't remember where I got them however....:mad:

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
LMC carries a kit that is all plug in, however ... if one of the relays ever fail, they are unobtanium . You can replace them with a standard Bosch cube relay with a little careful probing and a multimeter and some small chunks of wire and a handful of connectors. It's a good idea to get a relay and figure out the connections and pop it in the glovebox just in case you ever need it

Fordsandguns

Fords Rule
Reaction score
I just put the one from lmc in my truck. Totally plug n play. But RLDSL is right about the relays, they are odd balls.

TWeatherford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I got my relays with plug female connectors (maybe they all come that way?). So I had to cut and splice for the install, but now if I ever need to replace a relay, its yank the bad one out and put the new one back in. I could do it in 20 seconds. Also, if you do have one bad relay, you could drive a short distance on whatever beam wasn't bad.

flareside_thun

Reviving The General Tao
Reaction score
x3 on the relays.....I had that kit in my Flareside and when one of the relays went out, I couldn't even find a match online for it....That kit does make a pretty big difference though......However, an HID kit for these can be had for under 90 bucks...

biggin92

Yeeeee Haaawwww
Reaction score
flaresides's problem with his relay's was , he never mounted them so they hung upside down in front of his battery and they filled up with water , and to the best of my knowledge they made a huge difference in the brightness of the light's.

Billyisgr8

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Does replacing the wiring and adding relays affect all years of IDI's headlight brightness? , or did the factory catch on , and do it right starting with certain years?.....Cause I think my headlights seem to be fairly bright for what they are, and I have a 91. The 9004 bulb is only 750 lumens on low beam. I have not put a voltmeter on the headlight connector when on to see what it is at though. I do use the best bulbs though.... GE nighthawk Platinum, or Phillips Vision plus, can't remember which one it is in the truck and car.

Dave7.3

Diesel ******
Reaction score
Does replacing the wiring and adding relays affect all years of IDI's headlight brightness? , or did the factory catch on , and do it right starting with certain years?.....Cause I think my headlights seem to be fairly bright for what they are, and I have a 91. The 9004 bulb is only 750 lumens on low beam. I have not put a voltmeter on the headlight connector when on to see what it is at though. I do use the best bulbs though.... GE nighthawk Platinum, or Phillips Vision plus, can't remember which one it is in the truck and car.

Not to my knowledge until they started putting PSDs in... I could be wrong though.

I too have a 1991 and I thought my lights were plenty bright. I was forced to add an LMC heavy duty light harness though when my lights would cut out after running with my highbeams on for a length of time. It wouldn't do it all the time, but after the 5th time in a few months, it was too much of a safety hazard to let go.
My light's brightness at least DOUBLED over what I had previously. My dash lights are also brighter too. Not too bright to blind you, but one hell of an improvement.

Here is a link for the kit:
http://www.lmctruck.com/icatalog/fd/full.aspx?Page=62

As for ease of install, it took me just a few minutes to do. Here are a few pics:

You must be registered for see images attach

Relays mounted.

Passenger side headlight.

Wire routing. (Should have tucked it in, but I didn't want to pull the grill)

Driver's side headlight.

Good luck with whatever you decide!
-Dave

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
They never got it right so long as our engines were in the things. I have a 92 and my lights sucked ( not to mention having had the obligitory light switch and plug meltdown at least once ) The LMC kit did wonders :hail

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
the relay kit makes a huge difference also if external regulated get an adjustable reg and turn it to 14.5 volts, the 3g is already set there..I used to blow bulbs all the time till I turned up the volts, halogens like to be hot.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RangerDanger

Members online

No members online now.