Head studs ...?

stealth13777

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I used the copper spray gasket on all the paper gaskets I installed, and the exhaust manifold, during my rebuild. Had never used it before period, but wanted something cleaner than rtv that would hold things in place and help with old surfaces. I did not use anything on my heads though. Engine only has 400miles on it so far so too early for me to pronounce success

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

93blklightning

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not to mention, either the factory or someone else gobbed the gray stuff on the headgaskets I just removed, took me about a. hour on each side with a razor

93blklightning

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks stealth13777, I'm contemplating using it on the other gaskets like the valve covers and exahust.

I have used it on dodge 5.7 engines, and various Chevy, and Ford gassers, but never on idi headhaskets.

93blklightning

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok, got the heads back on with ARP studs, replaced the balancer, front main seal, rear main seal, oil pan gasket, thermostat/gasket (Motorcraft), finished fabbing turbo pedistal.
You must be registered for see images attach

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Ok, got the heads back on with ARP studs, replaced the balancer, front main seal, rear main seal, oil pan gasket, thermostat/gasket (Motorcraft), finished fabbing turbo pedistal.
You must be registered for see images attach

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Ok now about replacing the oil pan gasket... What did you use for this??/ Please answer this BEFORE you install this engine.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Thanks for the response. Red RTV will work fine. When you mentioned that you "replaced the oil pan gasket". My thoughts were big mistake coming your way. Those that have actually used a rubber or cork gasket have found out a little too late that they fail and end up pulling the engine to replace it correctly with RTV. Thats what the factory used and most if not all of us do the same.. No leakers either with RTV. You just need to really clean the surfaces first before using it.