Head studs/ gaskets

knightlogger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I also live in Washington state and have an abundance of diesel shops all over because of it being loggers country

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

AcIdBuRn02ZTS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well.. there is no "factory turbo" 6.9... they are all aftermarket and yes the ATS kit is a legit kit.

The 6.9 head studs are cheaper... I thought you were working on a 7.3. The 6.9 head studs are 7/16 where the 7.3 are 1/2" IIRC.

Since its a 6.9, I would definitely use head studs.

knightlogger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok. Cool I been trying to figure all my best options. I might as well get it honed too while I'm at it

AcIdBuRn02ZTS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you've got the time for the truck to be down and the coin to do it, pull it out, rings/bearings, gaskets top to bottom, and go through the heads ... head studs. Wont exactly be a cheap and easy fix... but you'd know its all good to go.

Now.. with that, if the engine has low or no blow by and good oil pressure, I wouldn't think all of that is necessary. However, the suck part is from my understanding, engine has to come out for head studs anyways... so labor will be the same.

knightlogger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I will probably just take the whole motor out. But it only just went out. So the damage done is little to none. So I probably will just put in new gaskets and do the studs, after I take the heads in to be checked

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
I know it kinda goes against the grain of most, but imo if you have the heads resurfaced at all, you need to do the same with the block.
Yes, have them checked for cracks etc, and do studs.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

knightlogger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm going to probably end up just going to the extent of just doing a resurface, hone, and possible bore then is what it sounds like ?

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Pics of turbo...if wastegated 093 if not 088 or 085 ...

6.9 studs cheaper n 7.3 fer sure....

Check heads repair rebuild az needed..upgrade to 7.3 rockers....studs yes....what ever you get for HG.....run it like u stole it.

knightlogger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm going to just getting to wear I can drive it to work an back at this point. But I'm curious how long it will take to do all the work. I only was givin this weekend to have it out of the shop

knightlogger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
And it's not waste gated just boosted

turbo elk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The 093 is waist gated the others are not... does yours have a rubber hose going to a vacuum canister looking thing on the side of the turbo with a rod hooked up to a arm on it on the exhaust?
Lack of sleep is making it hard to think straight.

Runningaford

Reaction score
Just a suggestion........ I remember rebuilding an 84' 6.9 which was prone to cracking the block. My father didn't want to waste the money on getting the block checked for cracks. We got it rebuilt, never ran right, and the crank broke around 20k later.

We pulled it apart, and there was no testing necessary, the heads were visibly cracked, the block was visibly cracked, and the crank was in two pieces. Talk about a serious bummer!

Look on Craigslist, and get a running engine for under a grand; hear it run before buying.

By the time you get your current engine out, you'll be familiar with the setup enough, to install a temp engine while rebuilding your 6.9.... you can also just run the 'temp' engine for as many miles as it'll go until you can build the engine you want.

If you do rebuild your engine, follow the advice of others here.

knightlogger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm rebuilding it but I only have the weekend to do it is the problem. And my funds are shot to **** far as any extra. So I'm going to do alot of what I can do my self. The head gasket is just seeping and the motor only has 186 thousand on it