head removal 6.9 84 diesel info please

richtrailrider

Reaction score
thanks...head about to be pulled to reclame glow plug tip which broke and stayed in head. does the valley pan aka. intake manifold gasket come off. does the fuel pump come off too.

Last edited:

NMB2

Dunce
Reaction score
I'm going to assume you are N/A. pull off air cleaner and all the wiring associated ect. pull all the injector lines from the injectors, pull the 3 nuts off the IP and 3bolts from the IP to gear. Pull IP and lines as a whole. pull the intake manifold, the valleypan comes out by removing the front hold down peice, and the 3/8" square bolt at the rear. Then depending which head you are pulling, pull the valve cover and exhaust manifold, accessory brackets or fuel tower, head bolts, and prepare to lift.

NMB2

Dunce
Reaction score
wow that was fast! did not know about the nut in back of valley pan good info so vp and ip do come off.

I suppose you could leave them in perhaps, but as easy as they are to remove, I would suggest removing them to reduce the risk of damaging anything.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
NA means natrually aspirated or non turbo. The above is almost exactly what to do but let me add something... Do not remove the aluminum gear cover that the injection pump bolts up to. You will loose the gear timing and thats really a big mess... Also the exhaust manifold can stay on the head but it will make things a bit heavier. Are you removing the drivers side head or the passenger side head.... The drivers side is much easier but doing this in the truck is going to be tuff. Getting the head off is the easy part. Getting it back on the motor aligned and not doing damage to the head gasket is tuff for one person. Some have done this with three guys. One guiding the head onto the block and two holding the head suspended from a pole and chain setup. Kinda looked like the great white hunters home from the hunt with a kill....:eek::angel: Rememner that Tim....:angel::sly

Brianedwardss

Reaction score
I used to link people to Mel's head gasket write-up in Thedielstop's archives, but their archives just say 'forbidden' now...

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wow! That would suck if they lost all that stuff. I tried navigating to that page, and it does appear that they have a technical problem.

richtrailrider

Reaction score
glow plug relay selinoid hooked to a dash button at purchase.

more help please! a control switch "glow plug temp/timer relay'" - a gray multi pin connector - threaded into the drivers side rear cylinder head coolant jacket was disconnected at purchase. a push button on the dash now activates the glow plug relay selinoid on the fender well. what do you think ?one more guestion . are autolite glow plugs good? 84 6.9 diesel thanks rich ***head update*** removed precombustion chamber and glowplug tip now removed, torked head and moving on and on ++++ Do i erase previous questions and if i do how do i erese.

Last edited:

Worstenemy453

Full Access Member
Reaction score
more help please! a control switch "glow plug temp/timer relay'" - a gray multi pin connector - threaded into the drivers side rear cylinder head coolant jacket was disconnected at purchase. a push button on the dash now activates the glow plug relay selinoid on the fender well. what do you think ?one more guestion . are autolite glow plugs good?

Ive read only motorcraft and beru plugs are worth it so thats what im going to recommend.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Motorcraft is just a ford name... All beru ZD9 glow plugs are called Motorcraft beru plugs. So if you say beru or motorcraft you actually are saying the same thing. Hope this helps someone that didn't know this....:D

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
thanks...head about to be pulled to reclame glow plug tip which broke and stayed in head. does the valley pan aka. intake manifold gasket come off. does the fuel pump come off too.

If you haven't pulled that head yet. Try this.

Bring the piston up to almost TDC where the GP is broken off. Remove the injector and glow plug. Blow hi pressure air into the glow plug hole with a rag over the injector hole. The tip maybe only in the precup, and it will come out like a bullet.

If you have the head off already, it's almost impossible to save the Valley pan gasket unless it's stuck to the intake manifold, more than likely it will get damaged when putting the head back on. Actually that gasket is a one time use only, as it is a crush gasket. Valley pan gasket from Azone is about $57.

johnshafer

Reaction score
retrieving broken tip

Bring the cylinder with the broken tip to TDC. Use a shop vac and a straw and insert it into the "removed injector hole" and probe down into the injector hole. Remove several time to see if you have it. I did that this morning as a last ditch effort before I conceded to remove the head and I got that tip out. I was a very joyous time to say the least. Check out the attached photos.

Attachments

• glowplugstraw.jpg
    glowplugstraw.jpg
    402.2 KB · Views: 43
  • gp-straw.jpg
    gp-straw.jpg
    249.8 KB · Views: 39

Knuckledragger

blowing chunks and grabbing porcelain
Reaction score
more help please! a control switch "glow plug temp/timer relay'" - a gray multi pin connector - threaded into the drivers side rear cylinder head coolant jacket was disconnected at purchase. a push button on the dash now activates the glow plug relay selinoid on the fender well. what do you think ?one more guestion . are autolite glow plugs good? 84 6.9 diesel thanks rich ***head update*** removed precombustion chamber and glowplug tip now removed, torked head and moving on and on ++++ Do i erase previous questions and if i do how do i erese.

I think you had better be careful about how long you use the button. Those GPs are only 6 volt, that is how they generate heat. The downside is that they cannot take 12 volts for very long and will do one of two things; either burn out and quit working, or burn out and mushroom the tip in the pre cup (and also quit working). Motorcraft and Beru are the favorites around here, I have Bosch 80024 GPs on my 85 and am perfectly happy with them.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
If you have access to a cherry picker , you will want to use it to yank the head rather than trying to muscle it off and back on. Really easy to screw up a new gasket while setting it down if not done slow and steady. Don't forget to get a bottoming tap and run it down all the holes in the block or you will not get a proper torque when you remount the head. Start shopping now, they are hard to find, only specialty industrial supply houses will carry them , A lot of places will tell you over the phone they have them and when you get there , they will try to ring up a plug tap , and then try to convince you that it will work just fine ,so, be careful.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86

Members online